Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

e-bay aluminum driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:31 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default e-bay aluminum driveshafts

Has anyone tried one of the custom made aluminum ones off e-bay? I see a couple on there and they are priced a bunch lower than I can have one made.

I need a shaft that is approx 57" center to center and can spin to 7k plus. I checked the local shops and most won`t touch aluminum and want to give me a 3.5" steel shaft.....which I don`t think has a high enough critical speed. I found one place that said they can do a 4" aluminum shaft which would work, but they wanted just over $500 seemed a bit expensive to me.

I saw a few places on ebay selling custom alum ones for 250-350 and this seems more like what I expected it to cost, so has anyone used on of these? good? bad?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about going with one from a sponser? I just ordered a Strange Chromoly DS from Midwest Chassis for $295.00. Also I belive there is the PST Aluminium from EPP for a touch over $400.00. Just a thought.....
Old 02-15-2009, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Madclown, either of those shafts would work and are built to order as far as length. I had a PST( $415)and the length was to short....should have waited until the rearend was here. I now have a Strange 3" Chromeoly shaft from MWC (to my specs)) for under $295.

Beware of EBAY sometimes you get what you pay for..... Cheaper isn't always better!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:14 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah the get what you paid for was what I am worrying about. But $500 hit kinda hard, thats more than I paid for my trans and I only paid a couple hundred more for the motor.

I can`t do a chromoly DS, would be a horrible idea in this car. Chromoly has a lower critical speed than a steel driveshaft. I don`t even think I could do a steel DS and get a high enough critical speed, from all the calculators I have seen I need aluminum or carbon fiber......but CF is not well suited to drag racing.

I just saw the PST shafts last night after I posted, I will have to check them out. Something tells me they will probably be around $500 to though since I need a longer shaft for the el camino.