Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest 9" axle installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Midwest 9" axle installation

I ordered my rear without the axles installed because I figured it would be no big deal to do myself. The way I see to install it is that the backing plate goes on the axle first, then the seal (which cups over the bearing), then the bearing and then the retainer. Am I missing something? What holds the axle in firm in the housing if the seal is pressed against the backing plate? Could someone enlighten me because I want to do this tomorrow. I tried to call Midwest but it was after hours.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here a go... this should help!

this is the assy order on a 4ch axle while on the press. the wedding ring gets pressed on after this operation. make sure you have the backing plate marked with a "L" on the short axle, the "R" on the long axle. the brake backing plates become the axle retainerand it does push the seal onto the bearing firmly when installed. this tight fit causes the od of the seal to expand over the bearing and seal tight against the id of the housing end.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O.K. I guess I was doing it right. I wanted to be sure before I pressed it on. It seems odd that a rubber seal will be holding the axle in between the plate and the bearing but I guess it holds. Thanks, Tom.