Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help Identify My Rear, lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Identify My Rear, lol

I know this forum is more car based but rears are rears right.

I bought a 2003 Silverado and decided to buy a Detroit TruTrac for it because I was having serious traction problems at the track. I did 18 sec in the 1/4 spinning the whole way, lol. DR's helped a lot(13.9 1/4) but still some wheel spin so I can't hammer it.

Any ways, I went online and ordered a DTT for the Chevy 8.5/8.6 10 bolt assuming that is what I had since they come standard on the Silverado. Problem is my truck is a foreign(Mexico) model so it has a different rear end(Latin rear ohh great now I am thinking Vida Guerra). The shop that was going to install the DTT told me that I did not have a 10 bolt but a Dana. They were not sure exactly which one only that it was smaller than the 60.

I looked online and it looks like a Dana 44. I went to another shop and they said it looked like a Dana Super 44 and in order to get a Posi in there I would need a c-clip eliminator and a bunch of other stuff. It would cost about $1600-1800.

Can anyone here tell me what rear end I have? And if I can get some sort of Posi in it?

Here are some pics I took.
Attached Thumbnails Help Identify My Rear, lol-dana1.jpg   Help Identify My Rear, lol-dana2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 AM

Anyone?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 AM

Bueller.......Bueller........Bueller
Old 03-02-2009, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A much cheaper way would be to go the junkyard and find you a Z71 rear end. They have posi in them already. You could probably pick one up for a couple hundred and swap them out. The Dana should go for good money to the 4wd enthusiasts and put that money towards more go stuff. Just my .02

You might also check on the performance trucks sight up top and see what they say also.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:56 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, it could very well be the Super 44. If you pull the differential cover and get me the numbers stamped on the ring gear I can tell you waht options you have. You do not necessarily have to do a c clip eliminator. Let me know.

Jeff
Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
Yes, it could very well be the Super 44. If you pull the differential cover and get me the numbers stamped on the ring gear I can tell you waht options you have. You do not necessarily have to do a c clip eliminator. Let me know.

Jeff
I crawled under and got all the numbers a could a couple weeks ago from the Bill of material, ratio number, date, etc. I also got the number off the ring gear and it is 47364. If there is a DTT or any Posi for it without the need for a c-clip eliminator better yet. One shop told me they could do the c-clip eliminator welded better then bolted so it will not leak. And put ford bearings but the cost was too high so if I can't find anything for it I might just go for the 14 bolt truck diff from the Silverado SS RWD.

BTW, I found this one "Semi floater 14 bolt 6 lug chevy differential from a 1991 chevy truck". Would it work? Supposedly the Avalanch and Esky also have a 14 bolt but the suspension is totally different.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 AM

I am headed to a local shop(only a two hour drive) so they van check out the diff as they think they might have something. Don't want to get my hopes up to high but I will be crossing my fingers.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 AM

Well I drove to the shop and they had a posi made by Dana/Spicer for my Dana Super 44. But when they removed the inside(I think they call it a carrier) it had holes for bigger axles than a standard Super 44. So I am back to square one. I took some pics of the internal parts but don't know how to post the pics online as they are on my phone.

Originally Posted by Jawsgear

Jeff
Any word yet on the numbers stamped on the ring gear.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:52 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR
Any word yet on the numbers stamped on the ring gear.
Waiting on a callback from Dana, PM me yourphone number, soon as I got a response I will give you a call.

Jeff