Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

*PIC*Driveshaft after 9 Inch to short?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *PIC*Driveshaft after 9 Inch to short?

Ive read somewhere before that the stock driveshaft is not long enough for a 9 inch which can cause vibration.I think exotic performance has a longer drive shaft but I wasnt sure.Is there any way I can push the DS farther in the Tranny?...Ive included a picture
Attached Thumbnails *PIC*Driveshaft after 9 Inch to short?-000_0002-copy.jpg  
Old 02-28-2009, 05:43 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 9 inch rear yoke will be sitting back one inch further. When you use the stock driveshaft it will have an inch less of it inserted into the transmission. Normally this doesn't cause a problem, but it has caused a vibration for several people. Bob
Old 02-28-2009, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to get a 1" longer drive shaft after my 9". I had a wicked vibration on the highway with the stock shaft, it wasn't full seating in the tail shaft bushing. The longer DS eliminated the vibration.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this with the Moser 9 inch housing? Isn't there a longer insert for the drive shaft that you could buy? I'd have to spend $300 - $500 on a new driveshaft after spending so much on a rear.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by transampimp
Is this with the Moser 9 inch housing? Isn't there a longer insert for the drive shaft that you could buy? I'd have to spend $300 - $500 on a new driveshaft after spending so much on a rear.
I haven't heard of any longer yokes that would give you the additional length. The stock driveshaft is fragile anyway, and when they bend up into a pretzel while still spinning, they normally take out the exhaust system and put holes in the floorboards. This has happened to my Camaro with an aftermarket driveshaft, which is when I made the switch to the PST driveshaft. I haven't had a problem since. Bob
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're having a vibration issue, I'd seriously consider the new, longer driveshaft. The stockers are known to snap and take out everything under your car, including the floor, when launched hard. It may be a $300-500 investment now that you don't want to make, but considering the possible cost of replacing/fixing everything it breaks, it might not be such a bad thing. Plus it would take care of your vibration.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What length rear yoke does your 9" have? I just ordered my third member and in 1350 you are limited to 3.5" length. But if you use a 1330 you can get a 4.5" length. Since I just bought a stock length replacement driveshaft from Strange last month I was hoping to use it with 9" so I ordered the longer 4.5" length rear yoke. Now I don't have to change to a 1350 u-joint and if the additional 1" works out on the rear yoke I should be good using the Strange stock length piece. Anyone verify what length yoke they have on their 9"?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:13 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
If you're having a vibration issue, I'd seriously consider the new, longer driveshaft. The stockers are known to snap and take out everything under your car, including the floor, when launched hard. It may be a $300-500 investment now that you don't want to make, but considering the possible cost of replacing/fixing everything it breaks, it might not be such a bad thing. Plus it would take care of your vibration.
I agree, when the driveshaft breaks it usually looks like a wet noodle under there wildly spinning around. Bob

Quick Reply: *PIC*Driveshaft after 9 Inch to short?