Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9-inch guys... UMI torque arm seems ~1/8" too long

Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 9-inch guys... UMI torque arm seems ~1/8" too long

So I was under my suspension tonight to adjust the position of my lower control arms in my LCA relocation brackets. As I'm checking things under the car, I noticed that my torque arm bushing seemed deflected, like it wanted to scoot forward on the shaft of M-shaped nose of the torque arm. With the rearend supported, I un-bolted the clamshell and the torque arm bushing immediately slid 1/8" forward.

Basically, the "lips" at the front of the torque arm flatten out into flat metal before they merge into the tubular steel of the rest of the arm. For whatever reason, my bushing has to be pushed SUPER far back, under tension, in order for me to bolt the clamshell shut.

I'm wondering if something in my suspension isn't set up correctly--maybe I have to lengthen the LCA's or the upper and lower rod-ends on the torque arm to buy myself another 1/8" of room...? Anyone else had to deal with this before?

Thanks!

EDIT -- Per the advice below, I shortened the torque arm by about 1/4" and that fixed the problem.

Last edited by trax; 06-07-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the 9" pushes the torque arm forward you may need to shorten the torque arm. Give Jerry a call in our technical support department and he will be glad to explain this.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 05-08-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

i plan on going with a 9" in the future as well as umi products. what could you do to counter something like this?

is the OP going to do any damage by shifting it back an torqueing it down. its not going to be within it's spec that's recommended nevermind the possible damage that could be caused under launching?

also, OP what is the # on the torque arm? i want to know which one it is. Also OP, what 9" are you using?

hopfully umi can key in here with some answers
Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
i plan on going with a 9" in the future as well as umi products. what could you do to counter something like this?

is the OP going to do any damage by shifting it back an torqueing it down. its not going to be within it's spec that's recommended nevermind the possible damage that could be caused under launching?

also, OP what is the # on the torque arm? i want to know which one it is. Also OP, what 9" are you using?

hopfully umi can key in here with some answers
Our torque arms will work just fine with the Moser 9".. it just may take some adjusting depending on your set-up to get it were you want it. Since the 9" is much larger than the factory rear end it will push the torque arm forward and to the drivers side. Also Moser builds there control arm mounts to far forward and they usually require adjustable lower control arms to get the rear end good and centered in the wheel wells. The torque arm has adjustment built into to allow changes to be made. You will not damage any items with the car shifting and a slight forward angle of the torque arm is fine.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

thank you sir! btw, im waiting for a 20% sale like last xmas lol.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

I have the umi tunnel mount torque arm with a 9". I just shortened the the torque arm using the adjusting screws . I got it where I wanted it and then adjusted the pinion angle. I'm also using umi lca's and adjustable panhard to get everything set up perfectly.

Search this Thread