Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My 12 bolt horror story *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down My 12 bolt horror story *PICS*

Well I have upgraded to a EPP 9" and its a very nice piece as you all now. But I thought I would share my great carnage 12 bolt story that a royal POS built. The ring gear bolt (3channel) backed out, a total of 5. And you can imagine what it did. The housing and axles are actually unhurt thank god and im looking for a local buyer to to pick it up if anyone is intersted. I dont know if I can say the guys name who built this (Used to work for W2W). Ive talked to him NUMEROUS (15+) times about this car and he claimed he did all the work at W2W. Now, after I confronted him with this sloppy build he claims he didnt assemble the 12 bolt. Either way, I have a nice 9" now Heres some pictures.

What fell into my hand when opening the cover

Just thought I would share what alittle loctite whould have prevented.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the order, and I hope you find a buyer for your twelve bolt housing and axles to help recoup some of the expenses. Bob
Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

where are you located, how much are you looking to get?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like he didnt loctite the bolts.

Unless the car had a horrible whine or there is damage that I cant see, I would think you could sell it for more. I see just maybe a C-clip and a lock washer. FYI a easton posi and gear sent alone is not cheap but maybe yours is salvagable.

Sorry for the loss.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Thanks for the order, and I hope you find a buyer for your twelve bolt housing and axles to help recoup some of the expenses. Bob
Thanks Bob! Hopefully I get the PST today!
Originally Posted by 1969mach1
where are you located, how much are you looking to get?
South East Michigan.
Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
looks like he didnt loctite the bolts.

Unless the car had a horrible whine or there is damage that I cant see, I would think you could sell it for more. I see just maybe a C-clip and a lock washer. FYI a easton posi and gear sent alone is not cheap but maybe yours is salvagable.

Sorry for the loss.
I would have used the Eaton posi over again for sure. A disasseble and full clean was in order, but there is nothing wrong with the posi. Just kinda hard to find a reluctor ring for it, long story. To make this 12 bolt live again it would just take a gear and rebuild kit if using my Eaton.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 PM
SKI
11 Second Club

How many miles since the rebuild ?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive never seen split washers on ring bolts.... They always have loctite on em and thats it...and thats how I put em back together.

That could have been really ugly...but looks like there is some salvation for that axle.

Glad you got a nice axle to replace it. Im going 9" if my Strange 12-bolt ever gives up.

J.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

i would have poked the builder in the EYE thats brutal! im not rear-end pro but i put together a 12 bolt before myself with no problems of that magnitude...good luck with the 9"!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SKI
How many miles since the rebuild ?
probably 25,000?
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Ive never seen split washers on ring bolts.... They always have loctite on em and thats it...and thats how I put em back together.

That could have been really ugly...but looks like there is some salvation for that axle.

Glad you got a nice axle to replace it. Im going 9" if my Strange 12-bolt ever gives up.

J.
Your not kidding, I was doing 90-95 when the last bolt came out. That was the noise of destruction I tell ya!
Originally Posted by raped 95Z
i would have poked the builder in the EYE thats brutal! im not rear-end pro but i put together a 12 bolt before myself with no problems of that magnitude...good luck with the 9"!
I called him once just to tell him he was a dumbass. I didnt want to take it too far. I wasnt gonna get anything out of him, and I didnt want the drama.

The 9" is awesome! So is that PST driveshaft. I happy I have what I have now, its just money right?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:46 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
probably 25,000?

Your not kidding, I was doing 90-95 when the last bolt came out. That was the noise of destruction I tell ya!
I called him once just to tell him he was a dumbass. I didnt want to take it too far. I wasnt gonna get anything out of him, and I didnt want the drama.

The 9" is awesome! So is that PST driveshaft. I happy I have what I have now, its just money right?
I'm glad it all worked out for you. Hopefully you get the 12 bolt sold. Thanks again. Bob