Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Can I convert screw in studs to press in by drilling and then installing press ins?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Can I convert screw in studs to press in by drilling and then installing press ins?

Long story short.. I boogered up some threads on my studs by bottoming out a closed end lug on a set of shortened screw in studs. Took the axles to a machine shop and asked them to remove them and then clean up the threads on the stud holes on the axles so I could install new thread in studs. Well... that didnt work because when I got the axles home to install new thread ins they f'in fixed the threads alright, they fixed em so good there is a couple studs per axle that are cocked SIDEWAYS... they chased the threads uneven and created new threads that are not straight.

Anyways... at this point I would like to just have a DIFFERENT machine shop drill out the holes so I can install press ins.

Is this possible? I have no idea... never heard of it but would like to do this if its possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.. after taking a closer look it looks like the one stud is not too terribly cocked one way. I may just try to run it.

Ill take some pics and post them up.