Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9 in rear end Break in

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9 in rear end Break in

So im going to be installing a brand new Moser 9 in rear end this week end. ive been doing some research on how to initially break it in, but im getting varying opinions.

ive heard from some people to drive slow for the first 500 miles, change the oil then drive at varying rpms from low to high.

other sources seem to say that all you need to do is to drive it for about 10 miles then let cool for 30 miuntes and to do this 2-3 times.

I want to make sure that it doesnt develop any gear noise after installing it.

Thank you
Old 11-24-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main thing is to NOT beat on it. Just cruise easy, try to stay under 60mph. At about 500 miles change the fluid, don't be surprised when you see metallic flakes in there.

For the first trip try to stay under 15-20 miles and let it cool, it will get pretty hot. My 12 bolt moser nearly burnt my hand. But now 2 years later and many many passes at the track, and street it is fine, there is a faint gear wine, but that is normal for most high performance gear sets.

No need to freak out about the break-in. Most people who buy a newer vehicle(not to mention heavy truck) just get in and drive it. Sometimes they don't even change the fluid for thousands of miles, whitch normally leads to seals failing.

Drive easy, 500 miles, change fluid, put maybe another few hundred more on it and let'er go. I did change my fluid again at 2,000 miles.

Also I used the thicker oil for better cooling during break in 90-140 I think, but now I run the 75-90 for less drag.

Quick Reply: Moser 9 in rear end Break in