Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need full parts list for 9in install!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need full parts list for 9in install!

Could somebody list the parts you need to make the swap complete. I have a Ford 9in housing with 31 spline axels so far. What else would I need to make the swap. A detailed parts list would be great and pics even better... Thanks...this thread should help a lot.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it one made for an Fbody or is it one from a ford vehicle?

I suspect it's not one made for an Fcar so you've got a little work ahead of you.

Let's see, you're going to need to have the axle tubes cut, axle shafts cut and re-splined, backing plates fabbed onto the ends (so you can use fbody brakes), fab up a jig to hold the axle assembly in the exact position so you can weld in some lower control arm mounts (which you'll either want to cut off your 10bolt or fabricate from thin air), and the same goes for your coil spring perches, you'll want to address how you're going to hang your sway bar on it... and unless I am forgetting something then I think the only other thing you'd have to do is fabricate a torque arm mount and then weld it on in the correct position.

If you're good at fabricating mounting brackets capable of holding up to some serious abuse and welding things down to the gnats *** using a nasa calibrated eyeball then it should be no trouble at all.

... or you could just buy a housing/axle package from either Moser or Midwest Chassis and not have to fool with jigging. Just bolt it in and pick a junk yard to chunk to run until it cracks.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Not to be a smart ***, but if it's one made for an F car then you're pretty much ready to go. Address the swaybar mount, which aftermarket solutions exist for pretty cheap, install your backing plates... if it didn't come with any... and if it didn't then you've got some pressing to do (I think). You'll need a gasket for the hogs head, about 2.~ quarts of 80w90 or other gear oil, and a conversion U-joint if you're going to reuse the factory driveshaft.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOOD write up....great starting point for me. And no its from a 1978 Ford truck so I am sure I would need to fab a lot. At this point I am trying to decide if it is even worth it or if I should just save for a moser 12 bolt. I got the rearend for 50 bucks...so I am not into it deep or anything.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

It takes a lot of fab work from what I understand... like unless you plan on making them to sell then it wouldn't be worth all the time and money invested in making the jigs. If economy is your game then look into an S60. They're stronger than any other rear made for our cars and pretty freakin cheap too, surprisingly. If you're an M6 and wishing to make a strait line car then steer clear of the 12bolt/monster clutch combo. There's enough carnage pics of that around here to make you cringe... If the axle shafts in a 12bolt aren't strong enough to reliably launch a DR/monster clutch combo then how do you feel about the stock 78 Ford axles?

It's just much cheaper and better in the end to save the coin and get a rear end that will handle the abuse without sweating.

**edit, just noticed you're an A4. You'd be fine with a 12 bolt. But just for the heck of it, compare the price of an S60 to a 12 bolt. I think you'll be surprised...