Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Do higher gear lube viscosities rob power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do higher gear lube viscosities rob power?

Does anyone know of any studies that have been conducted of parasitic loss associated with different viscosities in drive train components. I have heard of people using ATF in their differential to reduce drag. I have sen plenty of posts on here talking about different weights and compositions of lube people use to best protect their gears. I have always agreed with the approach that heavier weight is better. I have read posts where peopb even boast straigh 140 weight. Wouldnt these heavier oils cause unnesessary drag and make it tougher to spin the gears?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime the viscosity goes up, there will be more parasitic drag. Most folks run thicker gear oil because they think it will reduce gear whine. Which it does not.

Cant imagine thin ATF in the rear end. The ring and pinion, especially under big load, creates a lot of heat from the shearing action of the hypoid teeth. Might be able to get away with it on a strip only car and not making near back to back runs.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

For the average guy you would never know the difference. I run whats recommended, no more, no less. You know, I think people really get way too carried away with fluid weights in general. You know that old saying, Dont reinvent the wheel.