Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to get axle out from under car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to get axle out from under car?

Those of you that have swapped your axle, how did you physically get it out from under the car once everything was unbolted? A couple friends? I built a couple little dollies to put jack stands on but don't really have any way to support the center section, I may have to build a 3rd dolly and get some more jack stands. Anybody got any cool pics of how they did it?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I set mine down on my hydraulic jack, balanced it as best I could, and rolled it out. That's how I installed the 12-bolt too, just in reverse order. An extra set of hands really helps.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Real simple, you just need one friend. Get the jack under it for the unbolting of the shocks. After you unbolt them, lower it to the ground on the jack with the lower control arms still attached. Those act to stabilize it so it wont fall on the ground. Then have your buddy hold one side as you take a control arm bolt out one side at a time. Then the rear is free, have him still holding one side and roll the jack out the back with the rear end sitting on it.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you take the axles out first the rear is a lot lighter to move around. I removed the rear by myself using this trans jack from harbor freight, worked great:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39178