Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear guru's, narrowing problems...

Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear guru's, narrowing problems...

I ordered a Strange 12 bolt and asked for it to be narrowed 3" per side. After doing my research and getting a lot of advice from respectable shops I decided on 3" per side as this was as far as I could go and still use stock brakes and suspension.

Now Strange is saying they can only do 2" per side...what gives?

Also, if you're looking for a good price on a 12 bolt then check out Kaltech Tunings group purchase. It's damn near cost for that rear. Midwest also had it super cheap and would have been next choice.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elcaballoloco
I ordered a Strange 12 bolt and asked for it to be narrowed 3" per side. After doing my research and getting a lot of advice from respectable shops I decided on 3" per side as this was as far as I could go and still use stock brakes and suspension.

Now Strange is saying they can only do 2" per side...what gives?

Also, if you're looking for a good price on a 12 bolt then check out Kaltech Tunings group purchase. It's damn near cost for that rear. Midwest also had it super cheap and would have been next choice.
Moser can do 3.00 on each side, I'm not sure why Strange said they can't. Bob
Old 02-21-2010, 12:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

narrow it yourself. i did mine in 5 hours. of course i have access to a narrowing bar and dummy pig so setup of the fixture was quick. most of the time was cutting and grinding on the edges to be welded, and welding.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:43 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bww3588
narrow it yourself. i did mine in 5 hours. of course i have access to a narrowing bar and dummy pig so setup of the fixture was quick. most of the time was cutting and grinding on the edges to be welded, and welding.
He's ordering a brand new one, he shouldn't have to narrow it himself. Bob
Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure of the issue here, but there should be no problems narrowing the rearend to your specs. If you have these problems and order the rearend from me, then I get it handled for you and you don't have to worry about posting such issues here. Maybe you need to call Strange direct and see what is the purpose behind this as there is no physical reason with the product itself and your narrowing desire.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 AM
12 Second Club

maybe thats all they reccomend narrowing it just so they dont have people coming back to them with problems...
Old 02-22-2010, 07:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

narrowing a rearend from stock width creates no more problems whatsoever. a narrowed rearend would cause less problems from decreased flex in the overall length of the housing and axles themselves.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

i was getting at people narrowing their rearends and having problems with rub and brakes not clearing suspension components...etc.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

what difference does that make? narrowing could only help brake clearance in a wheel, and tire rub will happen with only a little bit taken off the rearend. it wouldn't matter if it was Strange, Moser, or any one else's rearend. once you order a rearend that is anything but stock width then it is the customers issue, not the manufacturer's. I go over the width dimension with all my customers and make sure they are getting what they want, and need. any good sales person will have knowledge of the vehicle and product to keep things in line.

Search this Thread