Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end makes whining noise when slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end makes whining noise when slowing down

i drove it 100 miles on half full of oil and towards the end of the trip it started makin this noise!!

So my rear end started to make a noise when ever i slow down.. its been leaking oil for a while so i decided to change the pinion seal and rear gasket.. i looked at the gears and they looked fine to me?! no chips or watnot.. so i put it all back together and it still making the same noise..

when coasting with the clutch in you cant hear it once u let go of the clutch you can hear it.. any suggestions?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

its the gears! i JUST had this same problem... couldnt tell unless you knew what to look for on the gears, they dont have to be chipped or anything but if you look youl probably see some uneven wear marks (difficult to explain)... took out my motive gears and replaced with GM gears and is perfectly quiet now!

i have an A4 but when i put it in neutral it would stop like when you push in your clutch... sounds like the same problem to me?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

i see.. so im a complete noob to rear ends.. but i can do some work on cars.. ive replaced my clutch and stuff like that if that says anything..

how difficult would it be to replace these gears if its my problem.. and what kinda gears do i buy? for my stock 00 m6
Old 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

also i just realized something... my torque arm was not bolted down at all before.. so i went ahead and got two bolts from home depot and bolted it down.. could an incorrect torque arm angle cause whining?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope its your gears exactly what 94trans said it doesnt mean chipped teeth and even if you take them out you wont notice like he said it causes an uneven wear patten like a sharp end and whines nothing you can do with it but live with the noise or change the gears if you have a stock ratio rear you can pick up a used set for like 40 bucks
Old 03-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

is it hard to put in the new but used stock rear end gears? do i need a new crush sleeve and have to measure stuff cause like i said im still new to this whole rear diff thing
Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by derek358
is it hard to put in the new but used stock rear end gears? do i need a new crush sleeve and have to measure stuff cause like i said im still new to this whole rear diff thing
they are kind of tricky to put in acctually, thay have to be shimed just right etc. not a job for a first timer to handle IMO. i would suggest you take it to a professional. might as well get it done right the first time instead of doing something wrong and having to do it all over AGAIN. and yes you will need a new crush sleeve. i would only buy OEM GM gears personally, had my share of experiences with other brands and i will only use GM ones for now on, no problems with those. but then again as long as its done right you shouldnt have a problem no matter what brand of gear you put in, but some do have a tendency to whine (act up) more than others.

hope this helps
Old 03-07-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Check your pinion nut and see if it is loose. It's the cheapest way out for now. My rear was whining and groaning when the pinion nut backed out a bit. I replaced the pinion seal and tightened it all back up and now it is dead silent.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

Pattern check should show that you have a issue somewhere, how the pattern changed was when you most likely over tighten the pinon nut. Causing the crush sleeve to crush to much pulling the pinion out to the heel of the ring gear. Now that is my educated guess. I have seen that a few time, with people doing in the pinon seal.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Unless he hit it with an impact I don't see him crushing the crush sleeve anymore by hand.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:08 AM
10 Second Club

After the first 300ft lbs to start to crush the sleeve it does not take much to change it after that
Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

hey guys.. yea after i just changed the pinion seal and retightened the bolt to its original position the whine seemed to not go away.. its wierd though.. i really dont think u can crush the sleeve much more by hand.. i retightened to original spec plus a hair more but as i was counting turns back to original there was no way that you could tighten that thing more by hand.. it just stops where it was originally...

my question though now is... is it safe to drive it the way it is now or not? i want to drive it back to chicago but should i or do i risk having it fail on the highway?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you should be fine, just make sure its got plenty of fluid in it.

as for the used gears, unless the seller has pictures of the pattern as well as the backlash specs upon removal, you will have the same problem most likely.

the used gears have to be set up in the exace same way they were broke in new, or they will make noise.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

personally i would never buy used gears...
Old 03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Me either, but around here it seems to be the cool thing to do.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derek358
when coasting with the clutch in you cant hear it once u let go of the clutch you can hear it.. any suggestions?
Sure it's coming from the rear end? This statement makes it sounds like a throw out bearing going bad to me.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Mine was making the same noise and it ended up being the inner pinion bearing. It was only under deceleration/coasting. If you ran it low on fluid it could have taken out the bearing.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by porksoda
Check your pinion nut and see if it is loose. It's the cheapest way out for now. My rear was whining and groaning when the pinion nut backed out a bit. I replaced the pinion seal and tightened it all back up and now it is dead silent.
yeah, i had the same problem, but mine happend quickly. Started making noise at the beginning of a 800 mile trip. Got 20 miles from my destination and made a stop from 70 down to 0 with the rear wheels locked up. The pinion nut came all the way off and the pinion ran its way into the carrier.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chubbz155
Mine was making the same noise and it ended up being the inner pinion bearing. It was only under deceleration/coasting. If you ran it low on fluid it could have taken out the bearing.
This is the problem I had with an old Toyota truck I used to own. Push in the clutch and it would go away.
Let out of the clutch and it would come back. Only on decel.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94TRANS
its the gears! i JUST had this same problem... couldnt tell unless you knew what to look for on the gears, they dont have to be chipped or anything but if you look youl probably see some uneven wear marks (difficult to explain)... took out my motive gears and replaced with GM gears and is perfectly quiet now!

i have an A4 but when i put it in neutral it would stop like when you push in your clutch... sounds like the same problem to me?
Add me to the list... 108k miles on the stock 10-bolt

I drained & refilled the diff with 85/140 hoping it would quiet down, but it is exactly the same as before. The gears looked fine and the limited slip works great. What I did notice though was the caked on gunk all over the rear, probably from a leaking pinion seal sometime in the past. When I drained it, it came out black and about 1 quart too low. I guess the guy before me changed the seal but never topped off the fluid

I will leave it alone for now, but any recommendations on a cure? I believe the car has 3.73's, which may be the culprit.

Last edited by GotGrunt; 04-21-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear end makes whining noise when slowing down