Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

High pitched whine and burning oil smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched whine and burning oil smell

yesterday my buddy ( a very experienced, competent mechanic) installed a richmond 4:10 gear and pinion into my 2001 trans am (6-speed with tcs). during the first test drive it made a clunky noise when you let off the throttle. we jacked the car up and tightened the pinion nut as much as we could(two grown men pulling on a wrench as hard as we could). I drove the car home. During acceleration, I dont notice much "whine." But when i let off the gas or coast in neutral the "whine" is noticable. Sixty miles later when I got home, it smelled like burnt oil. I used mobil 1 75w90 gear oil and limited slip additive. Should I give it more time to "seat"/break-in before i freak out?? Any chance the crush sleeve didn't "crush?"

p.s. I searched the boards for this, found some stuff, but not exactly my problem, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Doesn't smell anymore. Makes the same whine when coasting or accelerating. Now have 100 miles on new gear.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewterls1incincy
yesterday my buddy ( a very experienced, competent mechanic) installed a richmond 4:10 gear and pinion into my 2001 trans am (6-speed with tcs). during the first test drive it made a clunky noise when you let off the throttle. we jacked the car up and tightened the pinion nut as much as we could(two grown men pulling on a wrench as hard as we could). I drove the car home. During acceleration, I dont notice much "whine." But when i let off the gas or coast in neutral the "whine" is noticable. Sixty miles later when I got home, it smelled like burnt oil. I used mobil 1 75w90 gear oil and limited slip additive. Should I give it more time to "seat"/break-in before i freak out?? Any chance the crush sleeve didn't "crush?"

p.s. I searched the boards for this, found some stuff, but not exactly my problem, so any help would be appreciated.
Not to be a smart *** but doesnt sound like he is such a competent mechanic. Anyway sounds to me like the gear lash isnt set right.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You dont "tighten the pinion nut as tight as you can" Thats the dumbest thing I think I have ever read in this section. You and your mechanic have no business rebuilding a rear end. Thats why yours is whining.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

I think you over tightened the pinion nut pulling the pinion gear away from the ring gear. Double check your backlash, buy a new crush sleeve and tighten it to specs this time. I believe its 20-25 lbs. Not for sure on that, but you can do a search and find it pretty easily on here. Also, you drove it too far for break in. You're suppose to drive something like 15 minutes and let it cool down and repeat. Smelling burnt diff oil is not good, for now I would atleast change the oil so u don't burn the bearings up. And only a very experienced person can get 4.10's to not whine, it's one of the upgrades u have to sacrafice a little for. Mine are pretty damn quiet but not as quiet as stock would be.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah definately doesnt sound like you clearanced the gears properly, which leads me to believe your buddy is not as competent as you might think. Especially if he participated in the process of torqueing it "as much as we could"

Quick Reply: High pitched whine and burning oil smell