Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bad news

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad news

Well, took my car to the dyno shop today to hear some real bad news (First, my map sensor wasnt even in the back of my intake manifold, which explained why the car barely ran, then i find out, there is 3/4" play in my BRAND NEW 410 gears from summit. Sad part- theres about 10 miles on them tops. I'm waiting to hear from the dyno shop to tell me what all is wrong. The shop who did my performance mods, were absolutely retarded, down to the point they put my directional tires on incorrectly. This month has been hell.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Jesus Christ, thats kind of scary to think that a shop can be that bad...
Old 03-25-2010, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Probly should burn that shop down, so no ones car gets messed up and no one gets hurt. thats crazy
Old 03-25-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Wow that's unbelievable hopefully everything gets fix properly for you
Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Well, "they just started their business" & I think I just shut them down, the whole town already knows. Im not the type to run my mouth, but i have a front/back page filled up with things they did wrong, & now its at my expense. I paid them $600, I want the whole $600 back, so i can properly, just fix the rear end. I dont even know what else is wrong. Im hoping the map sensor was the rest of my engine problems.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry this happened bud; but you really end up getting what you pay for... Hope it works out for you in the end.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by garylisko
Well, "they just started their business" & I think I just shut them down, the whole town already knows. Im not the type to run my mouth, but i have a front/back page filled up with things they did wrong, & now its at my expense. I paid them $600, I want the whole $600 back, so i can properly, just fix the rear end. I dont even know what else is wrong. Im hoping the map sensor was the rest of my engine problems.
well there's your problem, a whole front/back page of work they did for $600, including a ring & pinion install. you were just looking for trouble
Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

I have the car at a reputable shop now, thats going to undo their mistakes, but now I have to find out how i can make up the money for labor. I went in too far over my head, bought too many mods at once. Do u think in 10 miles i could have ruined my gears? Im hoping they just forgot the shims or something simple. & I'm really hoping the map sensor is my only mechanical problem, but after researching, & seeing others symptoms, mine seem to be about the same. So all said & done, I will hopefully have everything fixed correctly, & maybe just a simple tune for now & do the dyno when its more realistic, sucks!!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean by 3/4 inch play?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by garylisko
I have the car at a reputable shop now, thats going to undo their mistakes, but now I have to find out how i can make up the money for labor. I went in too far over my head, bought too many mods at once. Do u think in 10 miles i could have ruined my gears? Im hoping they just forgot the shims or something simple. & I'm really hoping the map sensor is my only mechanical problem, but after researching, & seeing others symptoms, mine seem to be about the same. So all said & done, I will hopefully have everything fixed correctly, & maybe just a simple tune for now & do the dyno when its more realistic, sucks!!
They shouldn't have put a car with a new set of gears on a dyno before they were broken in correctly. And from what I've read about it( because I'm breaking in a new set now) if you've burnt up your rear oil it can ruin your new gears.

Taken from the Yukon Gear site.

New Gear Break-In
All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent overheating damage. Any overloading
or overheating will break down the gear oil, which will cause the ring and pinion to fail.
This can be determined by inspection and will void the gears’ warranty.
Please follow these guidelines to insure proper break-in.
n Avoid heavy acceleration during the break-in process.
n Drive the vehicle lightly for the first 15 to 20 miles and stop. Let the differential cool
before proceeding.
n Avoid heavy acceleration for the first 100 miles.
n Drive the vehicle at least 500 miles before towing to retain the gears’ warranty.
n When towing for the first time, drive for a very short distances (less than 15 miles) with
the full load and stop. Let the differential cool for about 20 minutes before proceeding.
Repeat this procedure two more times (45 miles total) to fully break in the gears.
n Change the oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles and phosphoric
coating shed by the gear set during the gears’ break-in period.
These towing instructions may seem unnecessary to most people, but we have seen
many differentials damaged from being loaded before the gear set was fully broken-in.
Overloaded or overheated gear oil will
break down and destroy the ring and pinion!
Old 03-27-2010, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

I guess I'll find out tomarrow the results, were going to put the map sensor in & try for the dyno again. Do u think it could have just been the map sensor making me have multi cyl misfire, fuel on cyl 1 plug and just run like total ****? Im hoping its not something serious with the engine itself. As for the rear end, I wont know the problem until monday. I read threads on here about series 2 and 3, im not sure how to tell which is which & if it could have been an error from summit being the wrong one for my car.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Do you have a manual or auto? If I'm correct, 2 series was 2.xx and 3 is 3.23 for auto. Also, if you only have 10 miles on your gears and they were installed incorrectly, you shouldn't have that thing anywhere close to a dyno and that shop should know, unless the owners related to that other shop you went to
Old 03-27-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Car is a 6 speed. I might just get a reg laptop tune, as badly as i want the dyno, I may not be able to afford it now. Im more worried about getting it running correctly and saving money up for a better rear end, because my stock 10 bolt will never hold. Im guessing the old shop didnt bother putting the shims in. Something stupid I'm sure, like everything else they did. I'm told I will be refunded some of my $, we'll see.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

They got the map sensor in & stock intake manifold, car actually idles now, so Im assuming that was my biggest problem. Gears came in today, theyre putting them in tomarrow, hoping to have the car back tomarrow evening or Thursday. Crossing my fingers the rest goes smoothly!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TONS of tuning tables are MAP referenced, so with no map, the car wouldn't run correctly. Good to hear it idles and may have been the only problem.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 PM

what shop so we dont go there
Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

The name of it is "Just In Time Auto" Theyre just "starting out" now, not real popular. Im trying to get most of my money back from them, considering they costed me a hell of alot more, its only fair. Granted they did my engine work, but messed damn near everything up that I spent 2 days correcting, & the shop its at now is fixing the rest. I guess the guy who did the labor on the car quit before he could get fired. I messaged him asking if he had ever worked on a car before. The scary part is, he doesnt seem to feel he did anything wrong at all.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Getting the car back tonight, Will have updates as soon as i can. Thank you for all the advise and experiences
Old 04-02-2010, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Well heres todays story. I felt it wasnt running up to par, took it to the shop & found out one injector wasnt plugged in. Plugged it in & headed back home, car seemed to be running pretty decent, pull back in my driveway to find out theres smoke pouring out of my exhaust and i have an engine knock. Im pretty much out of money now & cant pay any more labor. Wish i could find someone localy to stop over & give me a hand. My oil pressure is reading lower than it should be, i think the knock is coming from around the intake. Im not very skilled when it comes to engines, I'm stuck. If anyone is in the helping mood, give me a call 412 403 9941
Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Still having issues, today i had to fix a knock in my engine, the first rocker on the drivers side came apart, and found 3 others very loose, moved back and fourth with my fingers. Its just one suprise after another. I just finished up, started the car, seemed like it kept wanting to die, but no more knock, im thinking its a battery issue, ive been having trouble w the battery lately, so ill cross my fingers and hope for the best tomarrow. Providing that goes well, i am still throwing a map sensor code, which i know for sure is correctly in my car now, could the torquer2 cam throw the map code?