Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9".......Lots of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Moser 9".......Lots of questions!

Ok im picking up a Moser 9" for my car this weekend. Its complete minus the center section. Has 31 spline axles. The reluctor rings are already pressed on the axles. Im leaning towards 4.30 gears w/ a spool. Here is what im getting:

B9HP2: 9" Bolt in Housing and Axle Pkg.

9A15: ABS adapter and prep.

9A22: 47 Tooth ABS exciter ring for 98 up.

Anyways my questions are.......where is the best place to get a complete center section? How am I going to swap the backing plates? Also what do about using my stock driveshaft (the yokes?) And with it being a 4 channel car, will I run into any problems? This is all I can think of right now. lol
But Im sure as time comes, I will encounter a few more questions. I appreciate all the info guys!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:31 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Backing plates? unbolt them from your old rear, slide them onto the axels then have the bearings pressed on, then you bolt them to the housing after the axels are in with the t bolts THIS IS A BITCH TO DO, USE LOCKTITE

Stock driveshaft? swap the yoke, torch the old one, they use mylon to hold it inplace so you heat it up and it squirts out of the little holes on top like a zit popping. then put the new one in.

4 channel? no problems if you get the rings on the new axles, just swap your backing plates, hook up the wires after the swap and go.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by yak
Backing plates? unbolt them from your old rear, slide them onto the axels then have the bearings pressed on, then you bolt them to the housing after the axels are in with the t bolts THIS IS A BITCH TO DO, USE LOCKTITE

Stock driveshaft? swap the yoke, torch the old one, they use mylon to hold it inplace so you heat it up and it squirts out of the little holes on top like a zit popping. then put the new one in.

4 channel? no problems if you get the rings on the new axles, just swap your backing plates, hook up the wires after the swap and go.
Man you make it sound easy! lol. So the yoke you're talking about would be the one thats at the end of the driveshaft right?

And when I swap the backing plates and have them on, can I press them in myself someway, or do I have to take them to a shop and have done?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will want to get a longer D.S. for your 9". stock D.S. is going to be over worked. It's about an inch longer.get 1350's and when you order your center section make sure you get 1350 pinion yoke. I wouldnt cheap out buying a rear and not upgrading to larger yokes.

Putting together a rearend is simple, to many write ups on it. Dont be intimidated.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW I like Strange Centers myself. most of the sponsors on this board sell what you're looking for.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tnmotown
Man you make it sound easy! lol. So the yoke you're talking about would be the one thats at the end of the driveshaft right?

And when I swap the backing plates and have them on, can I press them in myself someway, or do I have to take them to a shop and have done?
you need a press so if you have one do it yourself otherwise call around, I got mine pressed on for 20 bucks but I had to call 5 or 6 places before I found someone willing to do it.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will also need to fab up some rear brackets for your e-brake. I chopped my stockers off and welded them to the lca relocation brackets. Worked like a charm. I also ran a spool in mine. I prefer the spool. Alot of guys would have to rebuild their lockers or posi's during the race season, but that spool is maintanence free.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

we offer all forms of center section setups, have the best prices, and do the setup in house. you'll definiotely want a good driveshaft in the car as well. we offer Strange and PST driveshafts and they are shipped ready to bolt in. pm or call us for a quote on what you're looking for.