Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

gonna sell my car if i cant fix this!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gonna sell my car if i cant fix this!

ok so i had alot of noise from my torsen. so i bought a used one on here and it looked great. i put it in and i still have this noise that seems like a popping or some what of a clicking (not nearly as bad though) when turning and even sometime while slowing down for stop lights in neutral. its not super loud but i hear it all the time.

when i have it up in the air and spin one tire real fast it sounds like gears are grabbing and letting go. spinning with the driveshaft. both tires spin. when spinning one tire are you supposed to hear some noise? or is it supposed to be smooth?

this is the most aggrivating thing ive ever dealt with.

any info on torsen diffs i would appreciate it. i love this car but i cant take it much longer.

its a 2002 camaro ss m6. thanks.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Teching In

No teeth damaged or missing from the ring and pinion? I damaged my pinion at the track and at first it wasn't "that" bad, but it got progressively worse until it wasn't drivable. I popped the cover and found a tooth on the magnet and not sure where the rest of the missing pinion is...
Old 06-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

no thats the thing everything looked great. new side bearings. axle were good. new wheel bearings.everything torqued down right.no play in pinion i cant figure this out. anyone know torsens really well? lol. this is rediculous.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

um yeah thats normal,there is a bulletin on how the diffs in these cars make a clicking sound during turns,usually under not much load just coasting around a corner.they all do it.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

I assume you used the friction additive? The torsen zexel is a geared torque multiplier and has no friction plates. None the less, it needs the correct lube which contains the friction modifier.. Some noise from the axle is to be expected but mine is almost dead quiet. I use Royal Purple which contains the modifier. I don't have a recommendation for RP but it has worked perfectly for me in two cars.

Do a Google search on The Torsen (torque sensing) Zexel and if nothing else, you'll be impressed. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

ok i guess its just normal. it doesnt happen constantly, just sometimes when slowing down i can here in click or pop. anything else of the car that could cause a clicking or popping sound io could look for?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:34 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't exactly say it is normal - I have two fbodies with the Zexel and neither do what you describe. The noise you hear could be from points along your driveline aside from your differential. It could be an axle bearing, brakes, suspension or even the body itself. That you hear the noise upon deceleration during braking would cause me to look at the torque arm, trailing arms, panhard. I don't want to confuse the situation but my experiences over the years has been to look at the not so obvious causes. That you already replaced the differential and the noise still exists would lead me to inspect other things, even u-joints, shock mounts and brake caliper bolts or Loose wheel nuts. I'm just saying to expect the unexpected.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

well the noise really hasnt happened much lately maybe the new diff needed some time to settle or something, i dont really notice anything anymore