Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearing

My passenger rear wheel bearing has been roaring for about a week now, where have you guys purchased the bearing and whats the easiest way to replace it? Is this something I can do after work or should I wait for a day off?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

Are you sure that it is the axle bearing and not the pinion or carrier bearing? What does it sound like? Does it pulsate constantly when on the throttle? My Formula with a stock rear was making a noise like that and most of the bearings were gone.

Also, your axles may be pitted from a bad axle bearing so you might also be looking at some new axles.

I've never done it before, but I think you should allow at least a full day to replace the bearing.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the wheel bearing assembly at advanced auto for around 85 bucks. I ended up taking it back it turned out I didn't need it so can't say how long it would take to install
Old 06-28-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Axle bearings are cheap. Just get it from Autozone. They should be made by Torrington or Timken. You will also need the axle seal.

Replacement is easy. However, if your axle bearing is indeed roaring, then chances are you're going to need a replacement axle as well. Any pitting or grooving on the axle means it's bad and must be replaced.

You will also need an axle bearing removal tool and a slide hammer, a seal removal tool, and a bearing install tool. You should be able to rent them all at Autozone, or buy them from Harbor Freight. It took me and my brother a couple hours for both sides, and I had never done an axle bearing before.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

If the stock axle setup is similar to my strange 12 bolt, then you may have a retainer ring? Not sure if stock axles have them but I had to replace those as well. It was easier to just cut off the old ring, bearing and seal and have someone press the new stuff back on.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:37 PM

It definitely sounds like the hub bearing to me. You could replace it in an evening as long as you're well prepped and have all the tools ready!

TCK,
http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/...b-bearing.aspx
Old 06-29-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Troy
If the stock axle setup is similar to my strange 12 bolt, then you may have a retainer ring? Not sure if stock axles have them but I had to replace those as well.
Stock 10 bolts use C-clips. They rarely need to be replaced.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM
9 Second Club

Right, I have the axle retaining bolts and nuts but to hold the axles in but to keep the bearing and seal in place, the stock axles don't have a retainer ring? For me it goes, reluctor ring, backing plate, seal, bearing, retainer ring.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

i'm short on time and dont really have a place to work on it, thinking about just getting a shop to do it. should run about 200 bucks
Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Troy
Right, I have the axle retaining bolts and nuts but to hold the axles in but to keep the bearing and seal in place, the stock axles don't have a retainer ring? For me it goes, reluctor ring, backing plate, seal, bearing, retainer ring.
Do you have c-clip eliminators? The stock axles are held in by C-clips, like I already said. They are at the very ends of the axles, inside the diff carrier.

The bearing itself is a press fit. You have to hammer it into the rear end housing.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Do you have c-clip eliminators? The stock axles are held in by C-clips, like I already said. They are at the very ends of the axles, inside the diff carrier.

The bearing itself is a press fit. You have to hammer it into the rear end housing.
Right, I'm familiar with c-clips (which my 12 bolt doesn't have) having pulled the diff on my 3rd gen a long time ago. I was simply trying to state earlier that if he was replacing the axle bearing and seal, that he might have a retainer ring on the axle as I do but I wasn't sure. Some people call it the wedding ring

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing