Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

newbie question on rotating the rearend

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default newbie question on rotating the rearend

I have a Midwest Chassis 9" rearend in my fourth gen. I got the gears swapped in the third member and got the third member on the housing. I got the driveshaft on, but when I went to put the adjustable (heim joints) torque arm on, it looks like the rearend needs to be angled downward in order for the ta to go on. The pinion on the rearend is pointing to the floorboard pretty high anyway.

I've never done this before so what should I disconnect on the car at the back to help the rearend point more downward?

Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use a different hole in the pivot link as well as adjusting the heim joints to get your desired angle. We recommend setting your pinion angle at -1.5.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
You can use a different hole in the pivot link as well as adjusting the heim joints to get your desired angle. We recommend setting your pinion angle at -1.5.
Thanks man. The problem is the topmost heim joint won't get in between the bracket at the top of the housing. I unscrewed it almost all the way out and it still won't reach. The torque arm hits the floorpan first.

So I'm sure if I can get the rearend to angle downward I can get it in there. I know the torque arm is what prevents the rearend from rotating up or down, but I was wondering if there was anything else that prevents it from rotating also.

It's not on a lift; it's on jackstands.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you are trying to do this with the rear end hanging it will be more difficult. Support the rear end up under the vehicle and things should be easier to put into place.

You are more than welcome to call me so I can help you our send me some pics at midwestchassis@hotmail.com
Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Finally got it sorted out. I'll post this in case any other newbs have trouble. I used a second jack (the yellow one in the pic) to lift that part of the rearend, and it tilted forward enough for me to get the top torque arm heim joint on.

I also moved the jackstands from the rearend to the subframe. Made it much easier to move the rearend around. Definitely a duhhhh moment.

Jason, thanks a ton for putting up with all my newb q's about the gear swap. You guys have the best customer service! I got two heat cycles done today; will finish it up this week. Can't wait to take it on the highway!!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

No problem man, if you need anything else just let me know.