Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MWC rear end. Axle seals leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MWC rear end. Axle seals leaking

Hey, I have a Midwest Chassis 9inch. I put about 15 miles on it so far. The other day I was pushing it a little hard in the corners and smelled rear end fluid when it was back in the garage. I found fluid coated on the inside of both rear wheels. This is what I found:

There is no fluid seeping between the housing and the outside of the seal where I have RTV. It's nice and dry there.
But as you can see, it's getting by the inner seal. I'm already dealing with coolant leaks, oil leaks, and now rear end leaks. I guess transmission leaks will be next
Any advice?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 PM
9 Second Club

That doesnt make any sense why it would be throwing grease and not oil.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually there is oil too. It's just thinner so it's hard to see unless you feel it. You can see it collecting on the bottom of the axle. And it's oil that's on my wheels, not grease.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never seen any rearend push the assembly grease out like that, especially in that low of mileage. be sure there is a vent installed in the housing and then make sure the vent itself is clear.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Checked the vent. It's there. The little pipe fitting with the mesh in the center of it.
It had some oil residue on the top of it. So it's venting. How much, I don't know.
Pulled it out and it's not clogged. You can see the axle through the hole, so it's not like the hole wasn't drilled far enough.

When I filled the rear end, I filled it through the side plug on the center section with the car level. Stopped when the fluid level was at the bottom of the threads. I guess I could check the level again. I just don't have the correct allen wrench at the moment.

Does it look like I installed the axle seal right? Don't really know another way.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you remember the amount of fluid you added?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not exactly. It was quite a while back. I see that I have 1/2 a bottle left. So I would guess I used 2.5 bottles (32 oz each).

But I filled it through the center section hole until it started pouring out. Then sealed it up once it stopped dripping. I don't have your optional fill cap on the housing so it's impossible to overfill it.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine did the same thing, it was overfilled a little. I drained a little bit of fluid and it stopped leaking .
Old 07-30-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled the side plug and maybe 1/4 of a bottle of fluid came out. But I also only had the rear of the car jacked up so it was tilted.

Do you think it won't leak anymore? I can't comprehend how the seals could leak out like this even if the fluid was a tad high. It's not like the axles were totally submerged in fluid.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, cleaned everything up and went for a test drive. Came back with my wheels covered in fluid again. What can you do for me Eric?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

nearing 400 of these rearends out there now in less than 3 years and this is the first time for anything like this so you obviously have something going on abnormal. It's real hard for me to fix something over a thread on LS1Tech though.

is there by chance spacer plates between your housing end and the brake backing plate?

remove the existing vent, and replace it with a brass nipple and a good length of vacuum hose to it. put a couple loops in the open end and tie it off up high, maybe to to your fuel tank strap. do not collapse the hose when tying it off. the thread is 1/8"npt and a 1/4-5/16 hose size will be fine.

drain your fluid level to 1/4" below the plug with the car level also.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I jacked up the car level and loaded the rear suspension. Used my vacuum pump and sucked out fluid until roughly 1/4" below the side plug.
Then bought a double sided 1/8"npt brass fitting. Used large enough tubing to slide over the fitting, then looped it above the axle and tied it off without pinching it. Then I took off the wheels and cleaned them up really good. Used Brake Clean on the calipers, rotors, and axle to eliminate residual fluid.

Went for a test drive and I'm still getting fluid on the wheels. Much less though. Long drips running down the wheel, whereas before it was completely covered in fluid and making a puddle under my tire. The driver's side is about half as bad as the passenger side. The passenger side has always been worse than the driver's side, I forgot to mention that before.

Oh, and no there isn't a spacer. My LT1 brake backing plate bolts right to the axle housing end.

Is the axle suppose to be completely solid in the housing? There is very very little play up and down when I pull up on the axle. Also a little play inward and outward on the axle.

If you remember, there was an issue with my axles sticking out an extra 1/2" from the backing plate; even after I cut my axle length down to fit the true-trac. I had to make a spacer between the backing plate and my brake calipers so the calipers would be centered on the rotor. We calked it up as Moser not machineing the axle right.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

no reason for it to be leaking. best pull the axle out and inspect the seal and axle surface it rides on. the bearing race may stick in the housing end, which is ok, but i suggest removing it, cleaning off the old sealer, and putting it back in as an assy like it was when new when it is time to go back together.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe I figured it out. And it should explain why my axles were sticking too far out. Tell me if this is right.

So I pulled the axle out some and slid off the outter part of the bearing with the seal on it.

It looks like I *cough cough machine shop* didn't press on the bearing far enough. Clearly it's needs pressed on another inch. When the seal is over the bearing as installed, the inner seal barely rides on the axle where it's bigger diameter. You can see an inprint of gear oil from the seal and it's about 1/8" from the ledge. Also there isn't much tension when you spin the seal, but if you spin it where you see it in the picture, it is firm because the spring is actually around the axle.

So the question is; is it too late at this point to press it on further?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Uh.... yea... that would definitely be a problem. go ahead and press it on as it is supposed to be with what you have. I'd just clean it up good, apply some wheel bearing grease to the rollers, and install as normal. whats the worst thing that could happen? a seal leak...
Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Axles are a little new to me. Can I press directly on the race or whatever it's called that is on the other side of the bearing? Or do I somehow have to press the bearing only?

How do you usually get the bearing race unstuck from the housing? Any good tools that won't gouge anything?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for clearing it up over the phone Eric.
I pressed the bearings on further and put it back together. Just went for a drive and didn't notice any more oil drips.

Thank you
Old 08-05-2010, 09:16 PM
9 Second Club

little off topic but how did you get your brakes to fit with the axles like that. Just wondering.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had to get a spacer thick enough to fill in the gap between the caliper mounting bracket and the backing plate. I made some measurements and had a machineshop make a nice aluminum plate. I could of stacked a bunch of washers but I wanted something solid and one piece. Kinda sucks now cause I wasted that money since now it's usless... oh well it's correct now.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric is the best!

Quick Reply: MWC rear end. Axle seals leaking