Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

a4 4.10 top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colonel
"The 3-4 WOT shift is disabled from the factory and most tuner's will keep it disabled"

I can assure you that this is not the case. If it didn't shift, it didn't have the power to pull the speed, the tranny has a problem, or the programming has been jacked with.

Bone stock, the tranny will most certainly shift into 4th at WOT.

I do agree that it's a bit tough on a stock tranny. However, when built correctly it's really not so bad, IMO. I've done it many times at 423 RWHP with no problems.

I've toasted many a 4L60-E (the 2000 Z28) but it was usually a friction failure on the 1-2 shift.
What exactly is this caused by in your opinion? Too much power/torque, rpm, heat, what? Just curious about this.

On a side note to everyone else, correct me here if I'm wrong, but it's my belief that these cars with 3.23 gears will have a similar top speed as they do with the t-56. Commonly, 162 mph seems average for an untuned (in tact speed limiter) M6, and I'd guess a 3.23/2.73 geared car will ultimately hit similar top speeds as well. The different combos just seem to have different limiting factors is all. My .02 cents. Also, isn't "going into fourth at WOT" different than "being in WOT in fourth" for purposes of topping out? I mean it's the 3-4 WOT shift that is killer correct? Not the act of BEING IN FOURTH at WOT that is as bad (although I'm sure still stressful on the trans). Either way though, whether I'm right or wrong, these cars are all capable of 150+mph easy in stock trim (if everything is running right) and all of them are able to do it repeatedly stock. As far as the gearing in the OPs car, with a tuned/cammed car you should have enough to easily exhaust those gears wouldn't you? Just find a gear calculator and see where those gears top out with your correspoding wheel size etc. You probably already have by now lol

Quick Reply: a4 4.10 top speed?