Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Position of Yoke on Pinion on a 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Position of Yoke on Pinion on a 10 bolt?

I have an 94 Formula and the local garage didn't mark the postion of the yoke when replacing the pinion seal.

How do I figure out where the correct position of the Yoke should be on the Pinion shaft?

What is the deal about the clock position of the pinion yoke?

The dealers manual says to mark the yoke and put it back on in the same position. WHY?

Last edited by DataCom; 08-02-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

First of all explain what you are trying to accomplish. You cannot remove the yoke and move it without another crush sleeve and the ability to crush it correctly. If they replaced the pinion seal, why would you now need to move the yoke? There is no correct orientation, it is like a driveshaft, it can go on 1 of about 20 ways.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are now rebuilding the axle.
When the local garage replaced the pinion seal they didn't mark the pinion nut and they over tightened and screwed up the crush sleeve, pinion pre load and the GM dealer did a diagnostic on it and said the pinion bearings were now screwed.

I was only asking about the location of the yoke because of the references to marking it I have seen here and in the GM repair manual.

addition
I thought it might have been balance related.

Last edited by DataCom; 08-05-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: addition