Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

PST Driveshaft 1200hp. Nope. Twisted Yoke!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its pretty plain and simple from here... to anyone that has a PST shaft with a suspect yoke, and it is indeed twisted, they will stand behind their product 100%. it is their policy, like most other manufacturers to replace the failed part with the same thing. if there is a upgrade to that particular part that you feel you need(such as the forged yoke-a direct replacement) then they will most likely ask you to cover the original cost of the upgrade(usually 50.00) and get you into the next step up. this will be PST's sole discretion, but there should be no issues with getting a twisted yoke covered.

easiest way to see if you have twisted splines is to remove the rear straps from the rearend yoke and push the entire driveshaft w/trans slip yoke all the way into the trans- BY HAND. if it stops before the seal surface ends it may be twisted. if it goes all the way in until is touches the u-joint ears then it is fine.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

So what kind of yoke and u joint will hold up with my set up? Did not think I would have to upgrade my "1200 hp" driveshaft....
Old 10-11-2010, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spicer yokes can twist/break too so I don't see what the argument is about. This happened to me earlier this year (May 2010) on a 500rwhp T56 car with ET Drags, 3300lb raceweight. Ended up having to remove the tailhousing off the trans to get the broken piece off the ouput shaft. Wiped out the tailhousing bushing also. I run a Moser billet trans yoke now and if this one twists/breaks I'm either upgrading to a Mark Williams piece, or doing a 30 spline Viper output shaft conversion.

Mike
Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a strange modified spicer slip, it looks as if it might have compressed.

The china stuff is much more prone to failures.

I have seen more failed china stuff then anything spicer, and of the spicer failures for me the 3 i had were improper angles, and those were off-road race trucks.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Still looking for an answer.What u-joints/slip yoke to use to relplace the chinese stuff? Bob? Eric? PST? Anyone?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Supershafts
That is a strange modified spicer slip, it looks as if it might have compressed.

I have seen more failed china stuff then anything spicer, and of the spicer failures for me the 3 i had were improper angles, and those were off-road race trucks.
right... forgot to mention the twisted splines inside and the crack after the breakage area in the spot right where the tailshaft ended. plain and simple... it twisted before it broke. you would have to have one serious problem with install to have angularity problems and cause this in one of these cars. just admit it... it failed. not the first spicer we have seen with issues either so if spicer and the yokes that PST use both are doing this there must be other things that need to be addressed beside the fact of PST using your so called "junk china yokes".

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Still looking for an answer.What u-joints/slip yoke to use to relplace the chinese stuff? Bob? Eric? PST? Anyone?

If you want to do it right then we offer the Strange chromemoly yokes that are used in Pro Stock and Pro Modified cars. it retails at 179.00. call us for a quote. for anyone else interested we can also have this yoke installed at the time of manufacture for a 100.00 upgrade cost.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Supershafts

If it did compress from twisted splines then it all happened on the same track day and I only had two previous runs that day prior to the failure. I had the shaft out of the car the day before and inspected the splines as I always do when the shaft is removed. After I removed the carnage, the splines on the output shaft were perfect. As far as driveline angle/suspension, it's nothing exotic here. Stock style suspension with a Spohn tunnel mounted torque arm, -1 degree pinion angle at the rear etc...

Mike
Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Did the early PST shafts come with a spicer yoke?

Midwest, Does your fabricated 9 package with the PST shaft include a spicer or cam yoke?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Razmiblackz28

Midwest, Does your fabricated 9 package with the PST shaft include a spicer or cam yoke?
They have always used a cryo treated spicer style yoke.

There is option for an upgrade though, they offer a cryo treated forged yoke and there is other options as well out there we can get you into.

Cryo treated forged yoke is a $50 upgrade.
Chrome-moly yoke is a $100 upgrade.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Razmiblackz28 View Post

There is option for an upgrade though, they offer a cryo treated forged yoke and there is other options as well out there we can get you into.

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis

I don't understand your answer, is it a Spicer yoke or not.
What the heck does "Spicer Style" mean...Is that code for a CAM yoke.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I don't understand your answer, is it a Spicer yoke or not.
What the heck does "Spicer Style" mean...Is that code for a CAM yoke.
Good catch on that.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

"Spicer style" is simply a designation of u-joint sizes/style... sorry about the way he worded it if it is confusing to some. we are definitely not trying to mislead anyone here.

we do not have our own specific "package" from PST... it is the same thing if you called PST and ordered a shaft yourself.

We use PST and Strange shafts in our own cars with the regular yokes and have never had issues, nor has any of our customers that have purchased PST shafts from us. the OP has a rare case and due to whatever circumstance probably needs a forged or chromemoly yoke. It all comes down to application.

we have spoke with PST on this matter and have everything in order now with them to be sure the correct yoke- if it is a CAM, Spicer, or Strange will be used. CAM and Spicer yokes are not the same, but are obviously about the same strength wise. what yoke you get will depend on how much power, what transmission, and what you do with the car. there will be the three different levels available. the standard will be the cryo treated CAM yoke, mid range will be the cryo treated forged yoke, and the high end will be the Strange chromemoly yoke.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Teching In

I feel mislead, and I bet just about everyone who bought a shaft believes they have a spicer slip yoke when in fact they have a China import Cam slip yoke.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I feel mislead, and I bet just about everyone who bought a shaft believes they have a spicer slip yoke when in fact they have a China import Cam slip yoke.
We have never told any of our customers that the PST drive shaft comes with a Spicer yoke.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Teching In

I understand now. Hopefully the yokes hold up over time. Thanks for responding and posting so openly. I like the way you have handled the yoke confusion and did not try to bury it, or control it through censorship like you probably could have done.
This thread is closed in my book. OP
Old 10-13-2010, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Well at least the shaft itself is good and the -joints. But like anything else, proper installation and proper suspension geometry is critical.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought mine from MWC and seen before hand the yokes have twisted and break. If it happends would install a Mark williams or some other higher end company yoke and be done hopefully.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I took my drive shaft out again last night to do some exhaust work (pry it out actually), and discovered the yoke splines were bent yet again! This is the second time for me in twisting the yoke. And this only with ONE trip to the track on a car with bolt ons! I was only getting a 1.8 60' as well.

My beef is this. I'm running with a BOLT ON car and snapped my stock driveshaft almost a year ago, so I needed a stronger one. Eric recommended PST, and so I went with them since they are literally an hour and a half from where I live. When I see they had a lifetime warranty and rated the driveshaft at 1000 hp I felt comfortable with my decision. But, it's quite obvious this driveshaft DOES NOT handle anywhere near the advertised rating. I understand that all I have to do is send it over to them for free and get it replaced, but it is absolutely assinine that I will have to do it EACH time I go to te track. I'm very disappointed in my purchase and will not recommend PST to anyone else. I will be calling them tomorrow demanding to get this upgraded yoke (which should come with a driveshaft rated at their advertised hp) for free. If not, I will simple remove my driveshaft after every trip to the track and send it back to them to have it replaced on their dime. Considering I go to the track probably at least 6 times a year, they can decide which is more cost effective for them......replace it with a yoke it SHOULD of come with, or keep paying for shipping and the Chinese crap 6 times a year.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with you. We may not have been told what yoke we purchased, but we bought a "1200 hp" driveshaft. That alone would lead a lay person that doesn't know what slip yoke is strong or not to believe that the driveshaft, as a whole, would at least stand up to 400hp. This is not the case with these driveshafts. I'm glad this thread was made, as I was told they've never heard of the yokes twisting. This is boderline false advertising imo. Although not applicable at the consumer level, the UCC has a section that covers products that are not fit for their intended use, sounds like the PST 1200 hp driveshaft Thank god for the Internet where customers can talk with another about problems of a product
Old 10-24-2010, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

FWIW, ever shaft I ever bought it was an UPGRADE to get a spicer yoke, which I usually opted for.. Never had a pst though, but lots of others, strange, spohn(looked like a strange), custom local one that snapped.... etc...

So basically people shouldnt assume stuff comes with spicer yokes, when driveshaft prices usually start cheap... and work their way up with add ons.

Quick Reply: PST Driveshaft 1200hp. Nope. Twisted Yoke!