Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

PST Driveshaft 1200hp. Nope. Twisted Yoke!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 30th6
the cromoly strange shaft i bought from midwest **** out the spicer slip yoke friday night and looked identical to the tail housing pic.it took me 1.5 hours to pull it out...i bought a strange slip yoke today from midwest.i felt the same way about my cromoly shaft coming out with bolt on 150 shot on dry rotted et streets best 60 was low 1.7s.never asked about a upgrade but i didnt think my bolt on car would break a moly shaft.........so i payed out of pocket to get it to hold my bolt on 150 shot car..damn
Are you sure it was a spicer/Se slip...

spicer slip, 1310 series, it is now 17yrs old same AL shaft also, 1.2 60's 400hit....
Old 05-27-2012, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Well like many others in this thread, I'm not real happy.

In having problems with my PST driveshaft yoke (yeah mine is twisted too) I started searching and found this thread, I bought mine through a vendor on here in a gp deal and was not aware of the available upgrade. Had I known I had some Chinese junk on there, I would have spent the money right then and there to upgrade.

Needless to say I will be calling PST on Tuesday to find out what my options are, and to express my displeasure with the "CAM798" slip yoke. Hopefully they will take care of me as well on a moly upgrade.

All in all I'm pretty disappointed with this driveshaft as it has never fit particularly well. If I were to do it all over again I would have just got a strange 3" moly one from the beginning.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Running across this thread really pissed me off. I bought my PST shaft back when the thread got started in 2010 so I would imagine I got a chinese SY too thats got a good chance of failing.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Running across this thread really pissed me off. I bought my PST shaft back when the thread got started in 2010 so I would imagine I got a chinese SY too thats got a good chance of failing.
Yeah that's about the same time I bought mine too. It does make me mad that chinese crap is on there.

However, I don't want to come off thinking the whole thing is junk cause its not. I think the shaft is nice. Its held up well and besides the chinese yoke and the u joint that didnt fit right in my 1350 pinion yoke otherwise its been a pretty good piece. I think the whole deal would have went better had I just bought it direct.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It all depends on application... The CAM yoke was the standard with PST unitl the spline twist was discovered, which we were not aware they were using. We also twisted the splines on Spicer yokes with one of my employees cars, and our local test mule(HSESWS6) but both were being abused pretty hard with 7k launches on slicks and aggressive clutches.

We at MWC will not sell a PST shaft with the cast CAM yoke to anyone with 450whp or above, or any M6 cars that will be raced. There has been a forged yoke available from PST as a upgrade which is what we have been using, and in most of the applications is fine, but we also offer the Strange billet chromoly yoke which is the best on the market. If anyone of MWC's driveshaft customers has the cast "CAM" yoke on a PST shaft with twisted internal splines, and are interested in making a swap, feel free to contact us and we will get you taken care of in a reasonable manner.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

For about the last two years I only sell these driveshafts with the upgraded forged yoke, when someone is ordering one for a T-56 or 4L60E. They cost me more but too many people were breaking the cast yoke. PST is currently out of these forged yokes though. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-28-2012, 12:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supers
FWIW that sounds like you got some good salesman bullshitting...

If you walked in and said i want a shaft. i will reply what happened to your old 1, you'll answer whatever happened...
I will ask, ok what are you doing exactly...
You will explain what you are doing vaguely and then i will question you for detail....
Then i'll get what i want to hear... motor, estimated or known hp, trans, the 1st gear ratio, the weight of the car, the length of the shaft, the joint series, what you are going to do with the car/truck, drive it, race it, crash it, break it, fly off a bridge...whatever....
Then i'll give you options as to what and why they are for the use, and if any upgrades or some non normal part is required.

Then i will give you a price for the options of shaft that will handle that PLUS, so I never see you again.......

That is what you should expect, and nothing less

Marty, You would never see me walk into your shop.....
Old 06-10-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I recently bought a pst shaft with an ugraded yoke which is a $100+ option and just found out I have a cam 786 joke....it seems this is becoming a usual thing with pst
Old 06-10-2012, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by javier1730
I recently bought a pst shaft with an ugraded yoke which is a $100+ option and just found out I have a cam 786 joke....it seems this is becoming a usual thing with pst
Yeah, I called this week just to see if they got any non-chinese garbage yokes in so I could grab a replacement, and his reply on the phone was he has no idea when the forged replacements will be coming in and the next option he has available is Strange one for $180. I wish I wouldn't have made the "PST Mistake" if I were to do it all over again I would have just gotten a strange 3" moly drive shaft and called it a day. It would have been stronger and fit the car better.

-just a heads-up, I called Eric at Midwest Chassis and he helped me out with the Strange yoke, if your looking for a replacement I would call him.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sofls1
Yeah, I called this week just to see if they got any non-chinese garbage yokes in so I could grab a replacement, and his reply on the phone was he has no idea when the forged replacements will be coming in and the next option he has available is Strange one for $180. I wish I wouldn't have made the "PST Mistake" if I were to do it all over again I would have just gotten a strange 3" moly drive shaft and called it a day. It would have been stronger and fit the car better.

-just a heads-up, I called Eric at Midwest Chassis and he helped me out with the Strange yoke, if your looking for a replacement I would call him.
Yeah I got mine through Erick, ill call him tomorrow to see what we can do....I paid for the forge yoke, so I want a refund or a better yoke.....if they were out of forge yokes, the least thing they could do is let you know, not just slap a chinese crap and charge.you for a forge one.

Last edited by javier1730; 06-10-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

PST is still out of their forged yokes. I have been sending out to my customers who have been waiting on their driveshafts the Strange forged yoke in place of the PST forged yoke. I have been losing money on every one of these orders which obviously cannot continue to happen... Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: PST Driveshaft 1200hp. Nope. Twisted Yoke!