Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

i have a less than 3 month old moser 9 inch w detroit truetrac 31 spline rear end. all of a sudden if i take a very sharp left i get a loud popping/clunking noise....this car has never seen the track it has the stock goodyear eagles tires on it and has 530 rwhp i dont drive it hard and it rarely gets driven any ideas what it could be ive read alot tonight about truetrac having issues should my axles still be ok will moser send me a new one or is there something better i should look at detroit locker??/car is gonna be making over 600 rwhp soon and i cant believ that my rear end is making this noise already ...i do plan on putting drag radials on it but i bought this rearend so i wouldnt have rearend issues with the power im making

update so i got underneath the car and i have the stock sway bar and stock end links and on the passenger side it looks like one end link is bent ...i couldnt duplicate the sound of popping or clunking this morning with the rear end around sharp corners but when it made the noise i had a passenger with me. could that be my issue the sway bar and end links ? im praying its not my rear cause everything feels fine when i drive it or get on it. any help to shed some light on the issue but thats the only thing i seen that looks out of whack is the passenger side end link it looks completely different than the drivers side

Last edited by 02gangsta/ss; 07-03-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

anyone??
Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to pull your axles to inspect them. I, along with many others have had the same issue. I had a twisted drivers side axle and the popping sound is the true-trac giving out on you. It could let loose at any time so driving it now is at your own risk. Give Moser a call to check your warranty status. Good luck to you.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
You need to pull your axles to inspect them. I, along with many others have had the same issue. I had a twisted drivers side axle and the popping sound is the true-trac giving out on you. It could let loose at any time so driving it now is at your own risk. Give Moser a call to check your warranty status. Good luck to you.
well i took it out this morning and couldnt get it to make that sound again ...my rear has a tiny pinion seal leak and when it made the sound the rear was quite hot any chance it coulda been too hot and a little low on fluid to cause it to lock up on the corners ...like i said it wont make any noise now when i took it out how hard is it to pull out the axles ?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about the temp/fluid issue....they could be a contributing factor. I still recommend giving Moser a call.

The axles are very easy to remove, just remove brakes, unbolt backing pate from housing end and slid axle out.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im having this same issue with mine except i make the same power and drive around with drag radials and get on it every now and then. My sway bar endlink is also bent very bad. I took the rear apart and i found little chunks of metal in the housing, if you rotate the gears it sounds normal but around turns is a whole other ball game.