Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Locker guys want your real world opinions

Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Locker guys want your real world opinions

I'm thinking about changing mine up from clutches. I know for a 6-Speed they are tricky. I was told you can ruin one at the track if you do a burnout then don't roll it once to let it engage before launching.

If it is just a clicking sound on corners I have to deal with I can handle it. I don't daily it and go to the track about twice a year. I'm not a fan of pulling a unit every year for clutches so unless I am reading wrong a locker will go for a long time without needing anything.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Best thing you can do is ride in someones car that has one. They arent tame behind a 6 speed in any sense of the word. It feels like driving with a worn out panhard bar when you get into any corner and transition from power to coast. Backing out of a parking space, it sounds like a metal grinder when you turn the front wheels hard. People look at you like "WTF broke on that thing" or "get the kids away" When taking off after stopping in a curved turn lane that has any grade, it can bang loud enough to startle you. I daily drove mine and will be again in a month or so when its running again. Its a race piece in every sense. I enjoyed it when my tuner asked me if I deleted the panhard bar. I think he messed himself...... LMAO!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our shop car has a lenko billet locker, you know its there, if you go very light on the throttle it will actually try to change lanes on the street haha. fun though, they take a beating
Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Dave is exactly right about how it behaves. If you don't have a lot of weight in the back I'd use a spool, if your only looking for the traction side of things. I'm thinking about switching mine to a truetrac or a wavetrac. Might be something you want to look into. Esp since you already have a 9 in.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

I LIKE lockers.
wish you were close to try a ride in my car, I am A4 but you would not notice tne locker , nether in the 10 bolt or the 9", but then that is just my $0.02' as stated I LIHE LOCKERS
I am A4, it has been 40-45 years seince I drove a std with a locker but I do not remenber any problems

See my reply #2 at this link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...guys-come.html
good luck ,Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 11-30-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 AM
11 Second Club

I'm going with one. Now I just need to find out if the NASCAR Detroit is really any different than the new eaton soft lockers

Search this Thread