Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Yes you can break a 9". I almost did but got lucky!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes you can break a 9". I almost did but got lucky!

Trac-loc clutches wore out 12 passes and 3300 miles. I pulled it to do a locker swap and while on the bench today we found the case cracked. I will post up pictures later but it cracked at the pinion bearing (small). So the builder swapped into a nodular case. He wasn't happy about needing to enlarge the case holes to fit the mwc housing. I think their jig is off! I did the first with a drill but not this time. Locker/nodular is ready to go in. Thinking of using synthetic if anyone knows a good one. Another couple wot excursions it may have taken out everything!

Last edited by Intercooler2; 12-15-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will guarantee you our housing jig is not inaccurate. the faceplate is laser cut from a Bystronic cnc laser and every one is identical. we do not have any issues with fitment to the cases we use and we do several complete rearend assemblies in a months time for our customers. I have had almost every brand of 9 inch housing in my hands over the years of chassis building and there has not been one of them that the housing studs lined up perfect with the center sections. we have experienced some 9" cases that the holes for the studs are drilled smaller than others and this will cause minor alignment and clearance issues. nothing more than running a 13/32 drill through the holes(which we normally do for our customers if needed) to make it have that little bit that is ever needed.
as far as your case issue, it is not uncommon for the pilot bearing area of the case to be cracked, even on nodular iron ones. this gets worse if the particular brand of ring gear is not beveled on the i.d. area of the teeth and the case has to be relieved in that area for the required clearance.
If you are considering synthetic oils, I'd say Mobil, Redline, or Royal Purple would be good choices. Amsoil has good products as well, but can be hard to get.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

I'm running motives. Any pictures of what you are talking about case and gears? Not sure what you mean.

Maybe it's a stud thing but he said that's a first drilling the holes n 50'years of building 9's. I wasn't about to attempt doing it by hand again since it about threw me!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Here is the bearing after we hammered the cracked piece off.
Attached Thumbnails Yes you can break a 9". I almost did but got lucky!-img_0790.jpg  
Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You did get lucky! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-16-2010, 06:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Is that a stock ford case? I broke one in the same area by just presseing that bearing in and thought hell this wont work lol. I always had trouble with installing 3rd members in housings no matter who built it to me thats just the way it is and I expect it.

Last edited by Zmg00camaross; 12-16-2010 at 06:23 AM. Reason: I muffed up
Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 AM
11 Second Club

It's an aftermarket extra ribbed case. It isn't nodular but is similar to a War case... but aftermarket. I'm hoping this "N" case will do better since it also has the large Daytona like my old one.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
It's an aftermarket extra ribbed case. It isn't nodular but is similar to a War case... but aftermarket. I'm hoping this "N" case will do better since it also has the large Daytona like my old one.
Yeah I had a war case which broke when pressing the bearing in, Well Good luck.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never had any of the Strange, Yukon, or Moser cases we have used ever have a problem in that area. all of the stock cases, including the "N" cases are prone for failure. a Trac-lock clutch type posi should last well over 3300 miles in a 500hp car that sees only occasional track use. there are other setup issues that could cause premature failure, as well as using the wrong gear oil. keep in mind the op did not purchase the center section from MWC, just a housing, torque arm, and axle package.