Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9inch axle install. 4channel with abs/track

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9inch axle install. 4channel with abs/track

I installed my MWC 9inch a few weeks ago and just now have had time to finish up by installing the axles into the housing.

I took them to the machine shop and had the bearings pressed on.

this is how I had the machine shop press everything on

-Reluctor ring
-backing plate
-seal/bearing
-wedding ring

Now i greased the splines and slapped it up in there. I have stock breaks so I unbolted the e-break shoes and flipped them out of the way.

my question is how the heck you bolt these things to the axle tubes. The axels dont even slide all the way in. there is about an inch gap between the backing plate and the mounting point. Big hammer (seal holding it up?)? bfh it in there?

There is hardly any clearance between the reluctor and the backing plate to even think about putting a nut on there to tighten it up.

Maybe somthing is pressed on incorrecly. I would have posted pictures, but the camera seems to have fallen into the hands of.........well who knows where it is.

Just looking for some advice before I start whacking my $5600 setup with a bfh. common, they told me it was adjustable!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

did you install the axle seals all the way in, measure from the seal out to the end of the housing then measure from the inside edge of the bearing out to the back side if the backing plate, do the bearings have the o ring as a seal around the ciconferance
( spelling) of the bearing if so add grease/oil to the o ring, be sure the inside of the housing in clean of burs
will eather side go all the way in ??
I did have a probem getting one side to go all way in, after being sure all was correct I used a axle puller/driver to install
yes the bolts which hold the backing plates on look short but I was able to tighten a full nut
if in dough that the axle fit the carrier, pull the carrier out of housing and check that the axle will fit the spline of carrier
good luck, Johnny
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

they fit into the carrier. I just dont know if i should whack them with a piece of wood and a hammer. i will measure first to make sure.

unless something can me pressed on upside down I dont know what the problem could be.

The machinist was familliar with 9inch setups, but not familliar with the reluctor ring, so I hope that is not on upside down. Im not sure if that would make a difference or not. Ill go back out and check on the o ring ding. worst case if I cant get them in, within the next hour, I will find the camera and take some pictures. I need to get this thing to the paint booth.

tripple black with anthricite stripes(pearl accents)....7 coats of clear. oh yea! cant wait to see how it looks.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

Well after I beat the axel into place I noticed I had the mr. machine man press my reluctor adapter and ring upside down/ backwards or whatever you want to call it. Looks like I get to buy some new bearings and shtuff.

I love learning the hard way. I think I will have the clearance I need this time around to actually get a nut on the end of the bolt.

score!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

The reluctor ring adaptor has a flange and a tapered end. The flat "flanged end" supposed to be towards the backing plate or away from the car? Im pretty sure it is supposed to be towards the backing plate, which is why I am thinking it is backwards.

I want to make sure because the shop that presses the stuff on overcharges ($75) to do this, plus i will have to buy different bearings and seals.

tripple checking before i have it done.