Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need some tips on buying a used rear end...

Old 02-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some tips on buying a used rear end...

so i got a stock 10 bolt 4 channel with 2.73 gears in it... found a guy near me with a used 10 bolt 3 channel with 3.42 in it... what are some main things i need to look at when buying this.. thanks..
Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

You want to remove the rear cover and look the insides over for signs of abuse or never changing the oil. Look at the debris stuck to the magnet, fuzz or material that is pasty when rubbed between two fingers is normal. Any larger pieces are bad. Look for chipped teeth on the ring and pinion and differential spider gears. Pull the c-clips and slide the axles out to inspect the axles where the axle bearing ride, Any wear on the axles and you're going to have to replace them. With the axles out make sure the ring and pinion spin freely and the bearings have no roughness. Checking the posi out for function outside of the car is not so easy to do. If the rear is equipped with a Auburn differential which can be identified by 5 yellow springs in the center, if you restrain one axle from turning and put a torque wrench on a lug nut on the other axle it should take roughly 43-65 ftlbs of force to make the one axle spin independently of the other axle. Then switch sides and do the other axle. If the force is in this range the posi can be considered serviceable.
Try to get some idea of the mileage on it, less is better of course. With the rear being 3 channel your ABS/TCS will not work any more unless you swap your axles and backing plates into this other rear end.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much is be trying to sell it for?

I was in the market for a rear end for a while And checked out a few that we're junk. Some people won't let you open the differential up so you have to trust the person selling it. If they sound shady about what's in there then they probably are trying to stiff you. There's not many of those types though as most car guys are solid people. I woukd check the u-joint for a lot of play along with the steps guppymech mentioned.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I add a question. What would a 18,xxx mile 10 bolt be worth with a alum T/A cover?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
Can I add a question. What would a 18,xxx mile 10 bolt be worth with a alum T/A cover?
200-400 all depends on what somebody is willing to pay.
If you have one to sell the OP of this thread needs a rear end.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-now-what.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some tips on buying a used rear end...