Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

dana 60s wow

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You seem to be way to concerned. If you have ever seen those bearings they have a hell of a seal on either side and you would have to really be pumping it in to blow one out. Then its a crap shoot to say which way it will go. And if it goes toward the axle flang then you are gonna have to put a good half a tube of grease in it for it to ever come out onto the parking brake.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my dana has 2 brakets welded on the housing and new bolts to attache the sway bar,i'm sure that's what i seen, it's not at home, it's at the shop. waitting for nice weather to take car out to install, anoucing like 10" of snow and mix of rain for weekend.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 35th camaro
my dana has 2 brakets welded on the housing and new bolts to attache the sway bar,i'm sure that's what i seen, it's not at home, it's at the shop. waitting for nice weather to take car out to install, anoucing like 10" of snow and mix of rain for weekend.
Thanks, i'm an idiot. I figured it out shortly after i posted.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 35th camaro
Big al i ordered it with what sell as there base posi, i think it's true-track.(no clutch, just worm gears)
Mine has a spool and is stock width. With a spool it comes with different axles. Noticed my decals on the axle flanges are different than yours.

And it came with brackets for the sway bar and all the correct hardware to make it work. Well thought out swap.

Watch out for interference where the torque arm mounts to the axle. Mine hits the drive shaft tunnel bad. I bent the sheet metal out of the way, need to bend it more. Should have checked this with the springs out...

Al
Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

I called strange tech today to ask, cause I just put in an s60 with these grease fittings. He told me it comes greased, bearings are sealed separate from rest of housing. Also told me to just grease them once every two years. And my .02 this is a great rear end. Mines a trutrac 410 and love it!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine also came with new sway bar links and hardware, Paulz98ss that info for the grease make alot more sense ,BigAl thanks for the installe info also, does anybody have anything to add on the installation tips or probleme you may have incountered( mayby i should open another post for the inst. tips)
Old 03-22-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Big Al
Mine has a spool and is stock width. With a spool it comes with different axles. Noticed my decals on the axle flanges are different than yours.

And it came with brackets for the sway bar and all the correct hardware to make it work. Well thought out swap.

Watch out for interference where the torque arm mounts to the axle. Mine hits the drive shaft tunnel bad. I bent the sheet metal out of the way, need to bend it more. Should have checked this with the springs out...

Al
So no fittings with a spool ???? Mine is a spool as well with the "old school" axle decals and no grease fittings.

Also, are you grinding off the edge of the torque arm and using the "inside" bolt holes. This moves the torque arm off the tunnel. There is an instruction sheet for this.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Is anyone bolting a drag sway bar directly to this rear-end with the Strange welded-on brackets and not using the supplied u-bolts and brackets supplied with the drag sway bar????
Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
Is anyone bolting a drag sway bar directly to this rear-end with the Strange welded-on brackets and not using the supplied u-bolts and brackets supplied with the drag sway bar????
Give Strange Engineering a call. I think the brackets are stock location for stock swaybar for the fbody. I'm using UMI drag bar along w/ the brackets that came with the bar. I had the brackets deleted on the S60 when I placed the order. Hope this help.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

So no fittings with a spool ???? Mine is a spool as well with the "old school" axle decals and no grease fittings.

Also, are you grinding off the edge of the torque arm and using the "inside" bolt holes. This moves the torque arm off the tunnel. There is an instruction sheet for this.
Called UMI's tech department about this and they told me not to grind or cut it. So, I pulled the springs and put a nail pulling bar between the top of the mount and the tunnel and let the car down. It's doesn't hit now....

Had my car on a lift today and rechecked all the bolts and stuff. All looks good. Was a shame to see all the dust on my brand new stuff The panhard rod forces the inside of the driver's side rear tire to hit the bump stop when I put the car on the lift. Would worry me if this was driven hard on the street. Fly over a dip and goodbye tire.

Al
Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

I used the Strange mounts and their longer threaded rods and the sway bar is fine. Mine even came with the bolts to hold the sway bar to the mounts.

Al
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Big Al
I used the Strange mounts and their longer threaded rods and the sway bar is fine. Mine even came with the bolts to hold the sway bar to the mounts.

Al
Which drag bar are you running?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Here is the information I received for running a DRAG sway bar with the S60 ...

UMI said "no", cut off Strange's sway bar brackets and use UMI's brackets that come with their DRAG sway bar.

Both BMR and Spohn said there would not be a problem with the 15 degree rearward angle on Strange's brackets with their DRAG sway bars.

I know of at least two LS1Tech members that bolted their Spohn DRAG sway bars to the Strange provided sway bar brackets.

As far as the torque arms, Strange recommends cutting the BMR and Spohn brackets as shown in Stange's instruction sheet. Spohn actually sells a mount specifically to install their torque arm to the S60. It comes already "cut" before they powder coat it.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

resurecting an old thread.. I too am curious about the grease zerks.. my S60 has them. Should we use wheel bearing grease? regular grease? synthetic grease? I can't find anywhere what I should be using.. and it safe to say its been several years since I greased them. Doh!
Old 06-30-2018, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use mobil 1 synthetic grease. I believe the tube has 220sh on it. Just a good grease and no problems

Quick Reply: dana 60s wow