Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Guys with Dana S60's I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will touch on a couple items I noticed while glancing the thread, if you want something specific answered just ask.

Rear cover- It is a new version stamped unit last year, have not heard much about it leaking. As for the aluminum cover Strange will not use it as an upgrade sold "with" the rear end but you can purchase it separately and instal it yourself. There was fitment issues with it.

S-60 S-Trac or Truetrac- The S-trac in the S-60 is not like the S-trac they offer in a 9". It is very similar to a Truetrac in many different ways down to it's limits. I just don't want to see people confused in thinking they are getting some 700+ hp differential.

Now do not get me wrong it is a great differential and performs and takes a crazy amount of abuse. It will just be limited to what it can do like the Truetrac is.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Al
A 9" is the way to go if you like to change ratios. Easiest rear end to set up.

Al 95 Z28
Most likely I am just going to bite the bullet and pick one and be happy.

Originally Posted by crazboy99
It is pretty fun with the 3.73's. Traction is still an issue, which I'm fine with.
If you were an M6 would you still run those same gears?

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
I will touch on a couple items I noticed while glancing the thread, if you want something specific answered just ask.

Rear cover- It is a new version stamped unit last year, have not heard much about it leaking. As for the aluminum cover Strange will not use it as an upgrade sold "with" the rear end but you can purchase it separately and instal it yourself. There was fitment issues with it.

S-60 S-Trac or Truetrac- The S-trac in the S-60 is not like the S-trac they offer in a 9". It is very similar to a Truetrac in many different ways down to it's limits. I just don't want to see people confused in thinking they are getting some 700+ hp differential.

Now do not get me wrong it is a great differential and performs and takes a crazy amount of abuse. It will just be limited to what it can do like the Truetrac is.
What kind of power are people putting to them before there are issues?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

What kind of power are people putting to them before there are issues?
That is a loaded question that is extremely hard to answer. Out of all the S60's and we sell a ton of them through the year not only because of price but the fact we offer a discount on suspension items with the sale plus tech help but to answer your question we have not seen to many issues at all.

A vehicle making 1000hp could never break a Truetrac, S-trac, or a clutch style posi not only in the S-60 but this goes for any rear end if they are not using it for drag racing but you could have a car making 500whp break one if they do nothing but beat on it in a drag racing application by weighing in over 3400 pounds on a sticky tire with 6000rpm launches.

Certain things will always be true when it comes to building a rear end, if you plan on drag racing no matter the HP level your best option is to use a spool in a 12-bolt or S-60 because it will be the only bullet proof differential that should never break on you. The S-trac or Truetrac in the S60 will be OK but is no guarantee it will take everything you throw at it over time. Most likely most will never see an issue with either one in the S60 but it is a possibility.

If you want a rear end that can be the best of both worlds your best option is a nine inch preferable one of our fabricated nine inches based off all the different cases alone we can set someone up with but that is a hole other conversation. With the nine inch if you want bullet proof for drag racing and some street cruising you use a spool, it how ever is not the best of both worlds differential BUT a nine inch has the option of the S-Trac which is a beefed up version unlike the version for the S60 or the other option which is the Wavetrac. These two differential options alone minus initial cost will do what ever you want it to do and take all the abuse you can toss at it, plus if you find their limits Strange or Moser are here to offer up their limited lifetime warranty. We have not had to put that warranty into effect as of yet with the S-Trac but two customers have had to use it with the Wavetrac and Wavetrac has since changed their design and the two that had issues they took care of with out any hassle.

I hope this helps some and if you have any more questions please just let me know.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is a loaded question that is extremely hard to answer. Out of all the S60's and we sell a ton of them through the year not only because of price but the fact we offer a discount on suspension items with the sale plus tech help but to answer your question we have not seen to many issues at all.

A vehicle making 1000hp could never break a Truetrac, S-trac, or a clutch style posi not only in the S-60 but this goes for any rear end if they are not using it for drag racing but you could have a car making 500whp break one if they do nothing but beat on it in a drag racing application by weighing in over 3400 pounds on a sticky tire with 6000rpm launches.

Certain things will always be true when it comes to building a rear end, if you plan on drag racing no matter the HP level your best option is to use a spool in a 12-bolt or S-60 because it will be the only bullet proof differential that should never break on you. The S-trac or Truetrac in the S60 will be OK but is no guarantee it will take everything you throw at it over time. Most likely most will never see an issue with either one in the S60 but it is a possibility.

If you want a rear end that can be the best of both worlds your best option is a nine inch preferable one of our fabricated nine inches based off all the different cases alone we can set someone up with but that is a hole other conversation. With the nine inch if you want bullet proof for drag racing and some street cruising you use a spool, it how ever is not the best of both worlds differential BUT a nine inch has the option of the S-Trac which is a beefed up version unlike the version for the S60 or the other option which is the Wavetrac. These two differential options alone minus initial cost will do what ever you want it to do and take all the abuse you can toss at it, plus if you find their limits Strange or Moser are here to offer up their limited lifetime warranty. We have not had to put that warranty into effect as of yet with the S-Trac but two customers have had to use it with the Wavetrac and Wavetrac has since changed their design and the two that had issues they took care of with out any hassle.

I hope this helps some and if you have any more questions please just let me know.
Thank you for clearing that up, for a 600rwhp car that might seen drag duty once or twice ever, you think the s-trac will serve me well? Please PM pricing on your s-60, 4channel, s-trac and one with spool for comparison.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Thank you for clearing that up, for a 600rwhp car that might seen drag duty once or twice ever, you think the s-trac will serve me well? Please PM pricing on your s-60, 4channel, s-trac and one with spool for comparison.
Keep in mind with the Strange S60 you do not get to chose at this time between a Truetrac or S-Trac. They use what is available at the time, I have not heard any change as of yet when it will always be the S-Trac and nothing else.

PM sent.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep in mind with the Strange S60 you do not get to chose at this time between a Truetrac or S-Trac. They use what is available at the time, I have not heard any change as of yet when it will always be the S-Trac and nothing else.

PM sent.
Got your pm, that right there ^^^ is wack.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would probably go with 4.10's or 4.56's if I had a M6
Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Got your pm, that right there ^^^ is wack.
Not really because they are the same as far as function and form in a S60. One is just manufactured through Strange and the other is through another manufacture. The Strac in the S60 does not get the life time Warranty like it does for their nine inch version.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not really because they are the same as far as function and form in a S60. One is just manufactured through Strange and the other is through another manufacture. The Strac in the S60 does not get the life time Warranty like it does for their nine inch version.
I know they are the same type of differential, but your saying that there really is no extra durability?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I know they are the same type of differential, but your saying that there really is no extra durability?
Not in the S-60 form there is not according to Strange. Keep in mind the S-60 doesn't seem to have the same issues using a Truetrac like a stamped nine inch housing does. Even our Fabricated nine inch housing has very little issue using a Truetrac, all though we suggest our Billet Clutch Posi over it. We have guys in all different HP ranges with it.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If have bolt in relo brackets on my 10 bolt can they be transferred over or does the s60 come with brackets welded on?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea they can be transferred over, I reused mine from 10bolt when I switched to my old dana 60.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If have bolt in relo brackets on my 10 bolt can they be transferred over or does the s60 come with brackets welded on?
You could but I would just get the relo brackets made with rear end purchase. It's much better that way. Then just sell off your old brackets.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

PM sent.
The clutch type LS units like Eaton makes can be "beefed up" and are very strong. I would not sell them short. They have the advantage of being able to drive both axles without all of the torque on the pin and differential gears. Makes them ideal for a manual transmission where shock loading is a concern.

The above is NOT true for the 9" Ford.

Al 95 Z28 S60 w/spool
Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...o-numbers.html
info when I 1st got my s60

Hears how my truetrac was at the track
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-truecrap.html
Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...o-numbers.html
info when I 1st got my s60

Hears how my truetrac was at the track
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-truecrap.html

I think I got some unhardened axles at 1st I twisted both of them. The car was stock interals with some mild bolt on making 330whp. Strange sent me a whole new axle setup for free ASAP, then a put the twisted ones in thous boxes and they had them picked up. Been fine ever since, and they stand behind there stuff. Same with some of the drag brake kits some parts had to be changed that didn't work in a new kit style.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-rear-end.html

Last edited by studderin; 01-22-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 PM

Sorry to kinda jack the thread but I am putting a Dana 60 in my 01 ext cab I was wondering if some one.knew the wheel mounting surface of a 2001 ext Silverado? So I can change it to a six bolt? Or direct me to the right area :/
Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 PM

Six lug***

Quick Reply: Guys with Dana S60's I have a few questions.