LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Gears & Axles (https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles-15/)
-   -   Dana 60 options, no longer want spool. please help (https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/1510301-dana-60-options-no-longer-want-spool-please-help.html)

NstyLt1 01-30-2012 08:50 AM

Dana 60 options, no longer want spool. please help

First off let me say im running a strange S60. I would no longer like the spool im running in my S60. im reading into true trac and true lock units, 3 series or 5 series. I dont know what any of that means or what i need or should get. Its a street/strip car around 400 hp. any input will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Big Al 01-30-2012 10:32 AM

Is your car automatic or standard? If it's automatic, you can use about any LS unit. I would stay away from the Gleason Torsen unit as I have one and it's not worth a crap in my opinion. The clutch pack style are plentiful and are rebuildable something to consider if you need to fix it down the road. Just be sure of the spline count as some older units were 30 spline. Detroit Locker's are a bit rough on the street, you can read up on the good and bad. Many vendors here can help you, and the 4X4 guys have lots of info on their sites. Carl at CRP would be someone to talk with.
http://centralracingparts.com/index....te=common/home

Al 95 Z28 S60 w/spool

Carl at CRP 01-30-2012 11:49 AM

Thanks for the plug Al!

The series of carrier is in reference to what gear ratios will fit. The 3-series carrier for the S60 can accommodate the 3.54, 3.73, 4.10 and the 4.30 ring and pinion. The 5-series carrier can accommodate the 4.56, 4.88 and the 5.13 ring and pinion. You select the gear ratio desired and order the differential with the appropriate carrier.

The Detroit Locker is known for it poor street manners, it is noisy as in making knocks and clunks also sometimes feels like it makes Your car want to change lanes!

The Truetrac or the S-Trac would be My first recommendation for a street or a street/strip application.

You can message Me for additional information or call 7 days a week at any reasonable hour.

Carl

NstyLt1 02-24-2012 09:27 AM

thanks for the input guys, sorry it took me so long to get back on here.

Blu99T/A 02-25-2012 10:38 AM

I have the TruTrac in my S60 and you wouldn't even know it was back there. Zero noise, drives like an open dif. and works perfect (locks up both wheels) every time I need it to.

azzkker 02-27-2012 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP (Post 15902840)
Thanks for the plug Al!

The series of carrier is in reference to what gear ratios will fit. The 3-series carrier for the S60 can accommodate the 3.54, 3.73, 4.10 and the 4.30 ring and pinion. The 5-series carrier can accommodate the 4.56, 4.88 and the 5.13 ring and pinion. You select the gear ratio desired and order the differential with the appropriate carrier.

The Detroit Locker is known for it poor street manners, it is noisy as in making knocks and clunks also sometimes feels like it makes Your car want to change lanes!

The Truetrac or the S-Trac would be My first recommendation for a street or a street/strip application.

You can message Me for additional information or call 7 days a week at any reasonable hour.

Carl

What kind of power can the Tru-trac and the S-Track handle?

thanks
anthony

01ssreda4 02-27-2012 11:25 PM

I'm about to be running a TruTrac also. Seemed like a good option for the money.

studderin 02-28-2012 11:59 PM

I switched to a spool form the trurtrac I got form strange in my S60. The spool was better for me racing alot, the truetrac was great on the street. I might sell it

quik95lt1 03-02-2012 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by NstyLt1 (Post 15902206)
First off let me say im running a strange S60. I would no longer like the spool im running in my S60. im reading into true trac and true lock units, 3 series or 5 series. I dont know what any of that means or what i need or should get. Its a street/strip car around 400 hp. any input will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

ive got a used 5 seris spool out of my car less than 500 miles and 50 passes..........perfect shape works great.......PM me ill give u a great price its just sitting on my shelf here taking up space....the breaking line is usually in the 4.30 area depending on who makes the gears..........what do you have for a gear set?

quik95lt1 03-02-2012 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP (Post 15902840)
Thanks for the plug Al!
Carl

the newer ones arent bad.........i street drove mine and it was just fine.......only hairy times were in the rain it would lock quite easily...........but keep in mind thats with me running around on a 4800 stall with 4.56's and drag radials lol

97Z28SS 03-03-2012 09:49 PM

I have a 3 series truetrac for sale for $450 + shipping I'm switching to a Detroit Locker so let me know if you're interested email me or pm me.

sway99bird 03-03-2012 10:00 PM

I went with a strange S track and it has a lifetime warrenty if it breaks they will replace it no problem.

NstyLt1 03-04-2012 10:49 PM

studderin, funny you posted on this because from what I was told you helped out with the bearings on my s60, I purchased it from a guy who lives in rochester. I forget his name tho, works at a lexus dealership. Iv meet you once through the wny fbody guys at the track one night.