Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

moser 12 bolt whine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moser 12 bolt whine?

Hey guys, ive been looking for a new rear and I found out close to me. moser 12bolt with maybe 2000 miles, detroit true trac diff,3.90 motive gear,30 spline, professionally shimed and wear pattern is perfect but till has a whine. The guy selling it keep reassuring me nothing is wrong with it but it still whines at 45. Is this a normal thing for moser 12 bolts or should I stay away? Thanks in advance
Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Depends on a lot of things, a lot of aftermarket rearends and gears make noise. Take a picture of the pattern if you can.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 AM
9 Second Club

Most 12 bolts do whine after hard launches. The 9 inch is less prone to whining due to the better pinion support. It's probably fine but the whine is there to stay unless you replace the gears.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Carter01
..... but the whine is there to stay unless you replace the gears.
Does it go away with new gears? Assume it will come back again after another hard launch.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Completely normal IMO. Go Strange for 12 bolts
Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Completely normal IMO. Go Strange for 12 bolts
So Strange 12 bolts don't whine after hard launches? Please explain the reasoning behind this...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a moser 12 bolt that I beat the **** out of, and I have 3 friends that also have them and also beat the **** out of them and none of our rear ends whine. I have heard of people complaining that moser rear ends whine, but I honestly think it's because of improper setup. I think they just get it "close enough" but still in spec and send it out. I had to take mine apart and set it up properly when I bought it. Not trying to say that I'm better than moser by any means, maybe I just care more? lol. Either way, after I set it up there was no whine and still isn't.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
I have a moser 12 bolt that I beat the **** out of, and I have 3 friends that also have them and also beat the **** out of them and none of our rear ends whine. I have heard of people complaining that moser rear ends whine, but I honestly think it's because of improper setup. I think they just get it "close enough" but still in spec and send it out. I had to take mine apart and set it up properly when I bought it. Not trying to say that I'm better than moser by any means, maybe I just care more? lol. Either way, after I set it up there was no whine and still isn't.
Ethan, are all three of your friends M6 cars as well?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

Yes, every one of them.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

have them put slicks on an dump the clutch at 5k they will all whine .
Old 07-20-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, every one of them.
Originally Posted by ramairetransam
This is what I am wondering as well. Ethan, have you all taken your cars to the track with a good set of sticky tires and done some runs dumping the clutch from a decent rpm?

I know a lot of people experience whine with their 12 bolts, and most say it happens after a few track runs, but then there are others who say theirs are fine. You mentioned setting your rear end up properly after buying. I'm curious to see if this might be the reason 12 bolts whine. If you and your friends are doing the same thing everyone else has done (hard abuse, drag strip use on sticky tires) and still don't have whine, you may have found the issue with 12 bolt whine.

Do you and your friends take your cars to the strip with sticky tires? Have your friends also set up their rears properly after buying them?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ would also like to know this as well..
Old 07-21-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
So Strange 12 bolts don't whine after hard launches? Please explain the reasoning behind this...
Center section casting differences and I believe a better overall product then a Moser....since you asked.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
Been there done that. My car is still quiet.

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
This is what I am wondering as well. Ethan, have you all taken your cars to the track with a good set of sticky tires and done some runs dumping the clutch from a decent rpm?

I know a lot of people experience whine with their 12 bolts, and most say it happens after a few track runs, but then there are others who say theirs are fine. You mentioned setting your rear end up properly after buying. I'm curious to see if this might be the reason 12 bolts whine. If you and your friends are doing the same thing everyone else has done (hard abuse, drag strip use on sticky tires) and still don't have whine, you may have found the issue with 12 bolt whine.

Do you and your friends take your cars to the strip with sticky tires? Have your friends also set up their rears properly after buying them?
One of my friends is running 10.80's in his car. He launches pretty high. I think his 2 step is set to like 5200 or something. I usually dump it around 3-3500. Seems to work best for me lol. The other friend goes to the track at least every other weekend. He only uses drag radials, so we can throw him out of this if you want Also, his hasn't been touched since it came from moser. Mine and the friend hitting 10's have adjusted ours.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Been there done that. My car is still quiet.

One of my friends is running 10.80's in his car. He launches pretty high. I think his 2 step is set to like 5200 or something. I usually dump it around 3-3500. Seems to work best for me lol. The other friend goes to the track at least every other weekend. He only uses drag radials, so we can throw him out of this if you want Also, his hasn't been touched since it came from moser. Mine and the friend hitting 10's have adjusted ours.
Great info. Thanks for sharing that, Ethan.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

I read somewhere that a lot of times a few hard launches on a 12 bolt that uses a torque arm will cause case deformities. My 12 bolt was halfway quiet when I first bought it, but after a few hard launches, it whined pretty loud. Got it to quiet down quite a bit, but still very noticeable. Been through a couple sets of gears and it still whines. The case deformation would explain my whine. I guess some cases are better than others.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:50 AM
Teching In

hi guys i know this is an old thread but ive been having this problem too in my new car it has a 12 bolt moser with 4:10 gears and ethon posi the guy i bought it from told me it always whined before and he always thought somthing was wrong but after 3 reduns he gave up trying to fix the whine and contacted another guy who was using a 12 bolt moser and he said not to worry about it its normal he said and he,s been using his for years without breaking it and gone some serious drag time..but it still bothers the hell out of me im thinking i have an adjusteble tourqe arm and it has no bushing just bolted right to the floor i,ve been thinking if i,ll put a bushing between it should quiet down at leest a bit the sound wouldnt travel as easy from the housing to the floor right ?

Last edited by icecamaro02; 08-30-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: moser 12 bolt whine?