Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend too noisy? vid inside

Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearend too noisy? vid inside

Not the best vid, sound is a bit lacking in fidelity, but this sounds awful loud and awful metallic.

Video On You Tube
Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the reason I asked this is because after about 20 miles on the freeway, the noise from the rear has me paranoid enough that I get off the freeway and take surface streets the rest of the way home. Sometimes it's a grinding noise, sometimes a whine. Once I get home, the rear rotors are way too hot to touch; I can actually smell the heat when i get oiut of the car.

Last night I pulled the shoes out nd lef them on the bench, but on the way in to work, same problem Axle house not hot, just the rotors and tires. Not even the caliper is hot. I'm afraid I may be cooking the bearings with all that heat, ad the noise seems very solid, like it's coming from something bigger than a rotor.

If there were a bearing problem in the pumpkin, I wouldn't get heat allo the way through the axles, right?

Also, wheels up and idling (about 10-15 mph), if I stop one wheel, the rearend starts to sound like it's chewing on nuts and bolts. I understand torsen noise but this is pretty extreme.

Search this Thread