Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Replaced axles/bearings, didn't fix the noise, what now?

Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced axles/bearings, didn't fix the noise, what now?

A few months ago I was asking around and lurking here on tech, I've had a scrapping noise coming from the driver side rear for coming up on a year now. 95% of the people said it was most likely an axle bearing. So I bought Moser replacement axles and axle bearings and seals.

Today I finally got around to swapping them out, the axle I pulled out had some wear on it, but nothing extreme. Passenger side had a bit too, but again, nothing extreme. So I swapped them in anyway, and sure enough, the sound is still there.

I'm starting to think its a pinion bearing? Or carrier bearing? The noise magnifies when I apply power. It's steadily getting worse too, and is annoying the hell out of me.

Advise or comments? I have to make a 3200 mile plus trip here in about 2-3 months and need the car in good condition.

Thanks,

C.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you put the new axles in did you inspect the ring and pinion for unusual wear? How did the oil and magnet look? Did you replace the axle bearings with the axles? The noise getting worse under power makes me think its the ring and pinion. The noise getting worse as the miles add up is not a good sign. A bad bearing would increase in noise as the speed increases.
I noticed you have drag radials, use of them at the track will definitely start to turn a quiet 10 bolt into a noisy one.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

you say driver side rear is making noise......the axle i pulled out had some wear on it.

how were the bearings you took out that were on the axles?

they may give you an indication of what the carrier & pinion bearings look like.......

just by chance, did you check your u-joints?

good luck!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by guppymech
When you put the new axles in did you inspect the ring and pinion for unusual wear? How did the oil and magnet look? Did you replace the axle bearings with the axles? The noise getting worse under power makes me think its the ring and pinion. The noise getting worse as the miles add up is not a good sign. A bad bearing would increase in noise as the speed increases.
I noticed you have drag radials, use of them at the track will definitely start to turn a quiet 10 bolt into a noisy one.
Yes, I looked at the ring and pinion, from what I could tell, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. No wear that I could see. Oil was clean, in fact besides smelling like ***, it looked the same as when I put it in a year ago. Yes, the bearings were replaced at the same time as the axles. The noise started before I had the radials.

At low speeds, like a sloow take off in first, driving normal, i can actually hear a scrap.. scrap.. scrap.. sound, as i speed up, it blurs into a single sound and does get louder. When I let off the gas going say.. 45mph, the sound decreases alot, its still there though, and the moment i touch the gas pedal in the slightest, it goes back to being loud as hell.

Originally Posted by heymoej
you say driver side rear is making noise......the axle i pulled out had some wear on it.

they may give you an indication of what the carrier & pinion bearings look like.......

just by chance, did you check your u-joints?

good luck!

how were the bearings you took out that were on the axles?
Bearings didn't look bad to be honest, a little wear, same with the axle, but not enough where it would make this amount of noise. I'll try and post a picture of the axle later.

No I haven't checked the u-joints, didn't cross my mind, since the noise is very obviously coming from the driver side..

any help is appreciated guys,

Thanks,

C.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

I had an e brake cable rubbing on the driveshaft that made a scrapping noise, sounded like something was coming apart.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Might sound stupid but check the brakes and nothing rubbing the rim.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by andrewss
I had an e brake cable rubbing on the driveshaft that made a scrapping noise, sounded like something was coming apart.
Originally Posted by dlross
Might sound stupid but check the brakes and nothing rubbing the rim.
I considered it being something like this, but neither of these would explain why the noise gets louder, ALOT louder, when I apply any sort of power to the drive train.

C.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad bearings rarely make a scraping noise, they typically make a humm or a whine. dlross said what is my first suspicion, check the brakes, sounds as if something is not right. Take Your time and look at the rotors, pads and calipers. Try to find some freshly ground metal.

If it isn't the brakes then continue looking at anything that rotates including tires potentially rubbing etc.

Carl
Old 04-03-2012, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
Bad bearings rarely make a scraping noise, they typically make a humm or a whine. dlross said what is my first suspicion, check the brakes, sounds as if something is not right. Take Your time and look at the rotors, pads and calipers. Try to find some freshly ground metal.

If it isn't the brakes then continue looking at anything that rotates including tires potentially rubbing etc.

Carl
At higher speeds the scrapping noise turns into a nonstop whining/whirling noise. I'm going to go over everything that rotates this weekend and inspect it, but again, why would the noise increase by even slightly applying power?

C.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:08 AM
Launching!

Did you find your problem? I'm working through a similar issue, except mine also has heat at the rotors (but not the calipers). At first it WAS a brake problem, though. If you have to put any significant amount of force into pulling the caliper off the rotor, you've found a problem (may not be your only problem, but it is a problem). My sliders were gummed up and I had to use a wrench to pry the caliper off. Other causes could be a stuck piston or a collapsed rubber hose (there are 2 for each rear brake, one at the caliper and one on the underside of the body above the LR). If you take the cap off the master cylinder, you should be able to push the pistons back in fairly easily; if you can't, you need to work on it (or better, replace the calipers).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced axles/bearings, didn't fix the noise, what now?