Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Vibration after rearend install

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked both and they are all good
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

I'll give my two cents. I had similar issues recently. I fixed it yesterday. I tried a few things. I messed with pinion angle numerous times. My tailshaft bushing looked perfect and had min play in it. I put another tailshaft housing in with a new bushing installed. I also spent extra time to make sure the ujoints were fully seated in the rear. Very easy to mess that up the way these splicer joints fit so tight. I tapped them into the seat with a rubber mallet.

My vibration is gone! For the small price a bushing costs, it would be worth a try.

Edit, I reread the thread. Seems you have already tried this.

Last edited by JKB315; 05-07-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
You said you tried 2 different driveshafts, what yoke(s) did they use? I had a yoke from strange that just didnt fit in the tailhousing right. It wobbled a little, like it was loose in the bushing or the splines werent cut right. I bought a new yoke from Mark Williams and it fixed the problem. Also verify that the driveshaft is the correct length, that could cause the same problem.

Ryan
I HAVE THAT PROBLEM! I thought I had to be crazy since I bought it from summit and it was for a T56 but I guess not. What all did you to do rectify the problem?

Last edited by Whiteaw57; 05-07-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was a low mile transmission, so I knew the problem wasnt the bushing. So I ordered a new yoke from Mark Williams. Strange wasn't really much help with the yoke, they test fit one on one of their cars, said it fit right and they were all machined the same. They took it back though, so that was good. I read a couple of other people having problems with the strange C/M yoke. The Mark Williams yoke fit much tighter on the splines, the barrel diameter was a few thousandths bigger and it made the problem disappear. Now I switched to a 32 spline yoke, so if you need a 27, let me know. I am selling mine.

Ryan
Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

Mine was a low mile transmission, so I knew the problem wasnt the bushing. So I ordered a new yoke from Mark Williams. Strange wasn't really much help with the yoke, they test fit one on one of their cars, said it fit right and they were all machined the same. They took it back though, so that was good. I read a couple of other people having problems with the strange C/M yoke. The Mark Williams yoke fit much tighter on the splines, the barrel diameter was a few thousandths bigger and it made the problem disappear. Now I switched to a 32 spline yoke, so if you need a 27, let me know. I am selling mine.

Ryan
I need it! mine actually has a slight leak! How much are you asking and does it have a 1350 joint?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

So is Strange replacing these with properly tolerenced parts?

I have to get to work now, but will mic it tonight and see if the OD is different.

I just got my transmission in Sunday and bought the PST DS with the Strange yoke last fall from a site sponsor. After reading this thread I went out and tried the fit and guess what, it has play. My 7 year old 350 pass Spicer is nice and tight with no play. The Strange is sloppy in fit, WTF?

Any way I bought it from a sponsor and just sent him an email to see what the options are.

Any one else had PST resolve this?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

I think their opinion was that my car was some kind of fluke. I think that the way that the splines are cut/rolled, however they do it, is the problem. The O.D. was pretty close, but there is alot of difference in the splines. The Mark Williams yoke fit my car alot better.

Ryan
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I have measured both the Spicer and the Strange Yokes. The Strange is 1.4995 OD and the Spicer was 1.5021 OD. When the picer is on there feels like there is zero play, the Strange moves alot. I plan to try them on and use a dial indicator to show movement at the u jonts center to see the difference out there.

I think you might have something on the slpines fit though. I need to check for rotational play too.

Who sells the Mark Williams unit?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 AM
TECH Resident

Mark Williams and Denny's driveshaft. I have a slightly used one if anyone is interested.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

You said you tried 2 different driveshafts, what yoke(s) did they use? I had a yoke from strange that just didnt fit in the tailhousing right. It wobbled a little, like it was loose in the bushing or the splines werent cut right. I bought a new yoke from Mark Williams and it fixed the problem. Also verify that the driveshaft is the correct length, that could cause the same problem.

Ryan
This was my problem as well. I swapped it out with a Spicer yoke and the vibration is gone. The U1667 I have is stamped 09/07 so it seems to be an older unit.

Quick Reply: Vibration after rearend install