Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Whinning at 70

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whinning at 70

Ok I feel like an idiot for asking this, but how much noise is to be expected with a set of 4:10 motive gears. Mine whine pretty good at 70 MPH but I have not really driven at that speed sense installing them until recently. Driving around town they are quite and it drives fine. I am wondering if I need to take it apart and take a look at my wear pattern and backlash. I have seen where some people have said that Motive's are noisy and other people say your gears shouldnt make noise.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Knowbody has any suggestions?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

They really shouldn't whine. Who did the install & what did the pattern look like at installation?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

I did the install with a friend who has done a few of them. The pattern looked pretty good it was centered in both directions. I wish I had a picture. At first it whined a little at slower speeds but as I have driven it some it has went away the speeds I typically drive. I just took it on a road trip for the first time and noticed that it was doing it at higher speeds though.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

My friend has motive 4:10's in his pro-charged v6 mustang. He said it wines a lot at highway speeds too. When he drove me in it just around our schools parking lot I could hear a slight wine when he took off but it went away quick.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah mine only does it at higher speeds now. I don't know if it is becaus I haven't put many miles on it at that speed ot not. I would think they would be pretty well broken in by now. knowbody has mantioned hearing it when they ride with me. Perhaps I'm just paranoid. I tend to get that way about noises in my car.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

make your exhaust louder.... haha if they are whining cause they are messed up its to late to do anything about it, they are ruined. they are probably fine and your just not used to hearing any thing. ive had 3 different sets in my car and all have made a little noise(brands and ratios)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If pinion depth is set properly you shouldn't have any whine, regardless of what gear set ratio or manufacturer you have. Just because the pattern was centered that doesn't necessarily mean it as correct. You have to look at the overall shape of the pattern, not just the location on the tooth. What is your backlash set to?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Says right on most gear makers boxes expect them to whine.