Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help me pick options for 9" rear please

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick options for 9" rear please

Building a 800rwhp Procharged car. Will be 3500-3700lbs with a 6 speed manual transmission.

I'm thinking either MWC 9" or a Moser M9 through Brutespeed.

Strange nodular iron center section
3.89 Gears
35 Spline strange axels
Chromoly adjustable torque arm w/ crossmember

Options:
Housing backbrace
Filler cap
Assembled rear
Wavetrac or S-trac diff
Lower control arms
Panhard bar
Driveshaft safety loop

Not sure if I should ditch the abs or keep it. Any opinions?

Also, im not sure what to get for the width either. I'd like to be able to run a nice Drag wheel setup but also have some nice street wheels. Really have no idea about backspacing, what will look good, or what options I have for what widths. Advice would really help in that department.

Hows everything else look? This will be a street car mostly that might hit the track once or twice a year.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pretty much got everything you did and I went with moser due to the fact they ship out very quick. I had mine narrowed 1" on each side, and went with the backbrace, assembled gears w/ detroit locker, adj lca, adj phb and the adj t/a. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get 3.25s with all the low end power you will make.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Building a 800rwhp Procharged car. Will be 3500-3700lbs with a 6 speed manual transmission.

I'm thinking either MWC 9" or a Moser M9 through Brutespeed.

Strange nodular iron center section
3.89 Gears
35 Spline strange axels
Chromoly adjustable torque arm w/ crossmember

Options:
Housing backbrace
Filler cap
Assembled rear
Wavetrac or S-trac diff
Lower control arms
Panhard bar
Driveshaft safety loop

Not sure if I should ditch the abs or keep it. Any opinions?

Also, im not sure what to get for the width either. I'd like to be able to run a nice Drag wheel setup but also have some nice street wheels. Really have no idea about backspacing, what will look good, or what options I have for what widths. Advice would really help in that department.

Hows everything else look? This will be a street car mostly that might hit the track once or twice a year.

On my '99 Z28 shown above, I had the Moser M9 (Large fill and drain are standard on the M9, by the way) with 3.70 gears. 3.70 gears and 28" tall tires are a perfect combination with a ProCharger for 800 to 1000 hp. I had 325/50R15 M/T drag radials, and I ordered the rear shortened one inch per side and went with 15 x 10 with a 6.5" backspacing. This put the tire in the same location as it would be with a stock length rear with a standard 7.5" backspacing, but the 6.5" backspacing gives it a little more of a deep dish look. If it were mine, I'd ditch the ABS. If you order a Moser rear on a Monday, you're normally be installing it in the car that same Friday. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Extended studs! For whatever reason I didn't order mine with them and I knew I would be drag racing the car. I just installed them on my 35 spline Moser axles. I had to cut the wheel bearings off in order to install the extended studs. Save yourself some time and money and order them with them installed on the axles.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Grifter
Extended studs! For whatever reason I didn't order mine with them and I knew I would be drag racing the car. I just installed them on my 35 spline Moser axles. I had to cut the wheel bearings off in order to install the extended studs. Save yourself some time and money and order them with them installed on the axles.
Definitely a huge hassle! Bob

Old 08-23-2012, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7YF..._order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTS4T...=ULxB7YFysvZ2w

On my '99 Z28 shown above, I had the Moser M9 (Large fill and drain are standard on the M9, by the way) with 3.70 gears. 3.70 gears and 28" tall tires are a perfect combination with a ProCharger for 800 to 1000 hp. I had 325/50R15 M/T drag radials, and I ordered the rear shortened one inch per side and went with 15 x 10 with a 6.5" backspacing. This put the tire in the same location as it would be with a stock length rear with a standard 7.5" backspacing, but the 6.5" backspacing gives it a little more of a deep dish look. If it were mine, I'd ditch the ABS. If you order a Moser rear on a Monday, you're normally be installing it in the car that same Friday. Bob
I really like the idea of the M9, especially because of the quick shipping. However, I thought I heard somewhere that the M9 isn't good on the street for some reason. This will mainly be a street car so that is my biggest concern.

Originally Posted by Grifter
Good tip! Thank You!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by garygnu
I would get 3.25s with all the low end power you will make.
Keep in mind that it will be driven on the street a lot. I think the 3.70 or 3.89 gear would make it more fun to drive. I guess thats something to think about more before I pull the trigger.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The MWC fabricated 9 inch is designed for either street or track use, and has by far the most options of any rearend packge out there. The MWC fabricated 9 inch uses a proven pivot link torque arm attachment that is not noisy like the other similar designs. When you gat a MWC rearend you are getting the same quality of a build and the same components that are used by some of the fastest F-body cars in the country... drive it to the track, go 7 seconds over 200mph, and drive it home.

You want 3ch ABS on an aluminum center section(or any center section for that matter, even someone else's!)... MWC can do it. You want a complete assembled fabricated 9 inch with new GM backing plates and e-brake assy's ready to bolt in the car when you receive it... MWC can do it!

Yes we will be a little more thime than some of the other manufacturers out there, but the value of what you get along with the quality, and the fact you are getting a custom rearend built for you, your budget, and the parts you really need, it is the best deal out there when comparing apples to apples.

We are just about caught up on backorders from the sprig rush now and complete rearends are shipping pretty quick.

Keep in mind that MWC is a direct dealer for Strange, Moser, and Yukon gear, and can get you any rearend you want with the most options available. MWC also has the guaranteed best deals... you find a better price we will beat it.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
The MWC fabricated 9 inch is designed for either street or track use, and has by far the most options of any rearend packge out there. The MWC fabricated 9 inch uses a proven pivot link torque arm attachment that is not noisy like the other similar designs. When you gat a MWC rearend you are getting the same quality of a build and the same components that are used by some of the fastest F-body cars in the country... drive it to the track, go 7 seconds over 200mph, and drive it home.

You want 3ch ABS on an aluminum center section(or any center section for that matter, even someone else's!)... MWC can do it. You want a complete assembled fabricated 9 inch with new GM backing plates and e-brake assy's ready to bolt in the car when you receive it... MWC can do it!

Yes we will be a little more thime than some of the other manufacturers out there, but the value of what you get along with the quality, and the fact you are getting a custom rearend built for you, your budget, and the parts you really need, it is the best deal out there when comparing apples to apples.

We are just about caught up on backorders from the sprig rush now and complete rearends are shipping pretty quick.

Keep in mind that MWC is a direct dealer for Strange, Moser, and Yukon gear, and can get you any rearend you want with the most options available. MWC also has the guaranteed best deals... you find a better price we will beat it.
I'll be in contact soon!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by brians91formula
I really like the idea of the M9, especially because of the quick shipping. However, I thought I heard somewhere that the M9 isn't good on the street for some reason. This will mainly be a street car so that is my biggest concern.

Good tip! Thank You!

I have a lot of customers driving their M9's mainly for street use. If you keep the joints greased you shouldn't have any problems. Bob

Old 09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

Go with Bob and the Moser. You will not be disappointed.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Cant wait to get my Fab 9 and components delivered. Ordered my stuff back in May, needless to say I'm still waiting! Hell I've been told it was going to ship out pretty much every week of August, lol. Gets a little frustrating being told its going to ship out once a week but I still cant wait to get MWC rearend installed for sure. I guess the wait will payoff when it finally shows up. I've Heard nothing but great things about MWC products and now have experienced the shipping battle that i've read about as well. Still happy with the choice of going with MWC regardless!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

If you had both stock LT1 rear brakes and a Currie Disc Brake Conversion already in hand which brake system would you have the rear end built for?

Joe
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StraightTimeStirrups
If you had both stock LT1 rear brakes and a Currie Disc Brake Conversion already in hand which brake system would you have the rear end built for?

Joe
Do any of the vendors have an opinion on this?

Quick Reply: Help me pick options for 9" rear please