Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Noise in rebuilt rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Noise in rebuilt rear

I just rebuilt a rear end out o a 99 Z28 and put it in my 94 TA. I drove it about 3 miles and all is quite until deceleration then a terrible low pitch howling. A little history on the rear end. A friend took it out of his Z28 and installed a 9" Ford. It has a TrueTrac carrier and I put all new Timken Bearings, new Motive 4:10 Gears, a Solid Pinion Spacer, LPW Girdle with a Brace Kit. I'm pretty sure the Pinion depth is good and when I did the contact pattern it looked good. Everything was set up using Dial Indicators and Pinion depth gauges. Pinion was set to the proper preload and the nut loctited. I haven't went back into the rear yet but when I put it on my lift and rocked the wheels back and forth there seemed to be excessive play. Also my friend had 4:10 gears in the rear and it was noisy in his car to but it at that time was setup entirely wrong. Help, any would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you run a pattern and post a pic? If you dont want it to be noisy forever you shouldnt run it.

Did you check the ID of your pinion shims vs the chamfer on the shaft? Mine had to be hogged out to keep from riding on the chamfer. Just a guess, could be a few things, but its clearly something...in my limited experience pinion depth gauges are useless.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Can you run a pattern and post a pic? If you dont want it to be noisy forever you shouldnt run it.

Did you check the ID of your pinion shims vs the chamfer on the shaft? Mine had to be hogged out to keep from riding on the chamfer. Just a guess, could be a few things, but its clearly something...in my limited experience pinion depth gauges are useless.
It won't be driven any until I get time to go back in the rear. When it was finished I did a test pattern and it looked good. Maybe something changed when it was driven, maybe the carrier preload wasn't enough. As soon as I have time I'll post some pics.
Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Noise in rebuilt rear