Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 Bolt Posi rebuild - steel or carbon discs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 12 Bolt Posi rebuild - steel or carbon discs?

I am rebuilding the Eaton Limited slip differential in my Strange 12 Bolt.
It was originally equipped with carbon fiber discs.
I see there is a steel disc option availiable too from EATON
My only experience sofar has been with theese carbon fibre discs and I do not know what to expect from the steel disc kit. I have not been able to find any information on it either. Would it be a better, more durable and better gripping option?
Anybody here used both and can tell me the difference?

Thanks for any input.

Steel kit and carbon kit:
Attached Thumbnails 12 Bolt Posi rebuild - steel or carbon discs?-steel-disc-kit.jpg   12 Bolt Posi rebuild - steel or carbon discs?-carbon-disc-kit.jpg  

Last edited by RGSS; 04-30-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Launching!

I have been searching and have only been able to find this statement, it does make some sense though:

The steel plates heat-check in seconds and start cracking and warping. Don't let just one wheel spin in any LSD.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rebuilt my eaton unit with "snowflake" steels from Ratech. They were much more aggressive than the original carbon fiber. They were however much quieter while slipping.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Launching!

I rebuilt my eaton unit with "snowflake" steels
Kevin:
Is this the type of clutches you are referring to?
Attached Thumbnails 12 Bolt Posi rebuild - steel or carbon discs?-snowflake-clutch-pack.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup. I know some say they are junk and tend to break...probably will under the same conditions that would destroy/warp a solid plate. But I look at it from a street/strip point of view. For street driving(low speed) fluid can easily get onto the faces which will nearly eliminate the chance of chatter while still feel aggressive. High speed or during a burnout the fluid can sling out and provide a better chance of lock up when you want it most. The CF clutches it came with did not last very long and once they wore out it made a god awful noise around every turn. BTW I used Lakewood BFL 80/90 with no additional additive when I changed out the CF clutches...worked very well.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Launching!

I found a good thread on a Corvette forum bashing the "new" carbon fibre friction discs. There was one particular post stating that a brand new carbon fiber clutch pack went down the drain on the first pass behind a 600 HP motor:

According to the box, they are Eaton's and I'm sure the supplier is aware of Tom Watt. Don't get me wrong, I like the new Eaton carriers just not the gears or clutches in them.When I first heard of these a few years ago a friend had them installed in his car and they failed. I asked what was done to correct the problem but his shop didn't say, I'm guessing the steels were installed. When I asked Kenny @ Tom's about them he said they used a set on a 600 HP drag car and they poured out of the drain after the first run. I thought he was kidding!

Last edited by RGSS; 04-30-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Launching!

This is an extract of a vendor's catalogue that sums up the clutch options availiable for the 12 bolt:

CHEVROLET 12-BOLT EATON POSI PARTS

We offer all 3 styles of clutch packs for Eaton type
posi's (all sets include 4 posi clips). Posi shim set
now included in Part #C 12-PP 18S & 14CF

Posi Plates

18 Solid Disc and Plate Set "My Favorite"
Part #C12-PP 18S Price $110.50

18 Slotted Disc and Plate Set "Current
Factory Rep"
Part #C12-PP Contact Dealer

22 Solid Disc and Plate Set
Part #C12-PP22 Price $126.50

New 14 solid Pyrolytic Carbon Disc's.
Part #C12-PP14CF Price $ 126.50
I am decided to try out the 18 solid disc and plate set. I had already bought a carbon replacement
Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Some more info I found on the carbon and steel discs:
I am writing it down in case anyone should need the part numbers. I am going with the 18 disc set and 400# springs. I will come back after installing it with my feedback.

The 14 disc set is the new carbon fiber set. They are good for a street car, but for drag racing I prefer the steel clutches. The 18 disc set (EATON PN 29403-00S) is good for street/strip use and the 22 disc set(EATON PN 29402-00S) is good for drag racing. The 22 disc set has thinner discs in it and there can be issues with lots of street use, plus they tend to chatter more. The 400 pound springs with the 18 disc set should be good for what you want to do.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
I rebuilt my eaton unit with "snowflake" steels from Ratech. They were much more aggressive than the original carbon fiber.
Did they actually change the bias ratio, or can ONLY the spring rates do that??
Old 05-01-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Did they actually change the bias ratio, or can ONLY the spring rates do that??
Well I cant give any numbers in terms of lbs/ft, I can only say that it felt much tighter than with the CF's...in fact the first few turns made before the oil had a chance to warm up it would scrub the inside tire, something it never did with the CF disc even new. The steering felt heavier once it did warm up. This was reusing the stock eaton yellow springs(400lbs).

Quick Reply: 12 Bolt Posi rebuild - steel or carbon discs?