Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

weird gear oil question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird gear oil question

I'm just curious as to what anybody thinks for weights of gear oil i can use to quiet down a 99 z28 torsen rear end. I am currently using 75w90 Castrol synthetic with the additive. I was told I could use 80w 140 Lucas vs the synthetic to maybe make my diff a little bit quieter, but of course owners manual says use synthetic. Would it be worth the trouble to switch to a heavier weight non synthetic? . I'm not sure it's the diff making the noise but its bone stock and has seen some hard drving I'm sure. Only got 116k on the rear end. I'm also getting quite a bit of fore and aft movement play which I'm thinkin is just the c clips making noise. Would worn rear acle bearings be mistaken for rear end noise? Its not whinjng its just a clicking sound under acceleration.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Id pull the inspection cover to physically see whats going on first
Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

What should I look for??? The last time I had the cover off I didnt see nothing that stood out. But then again I didn't know what to look for specificly
Old 05-31-2013, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

with the tires off the ground spin them and watch the mesh, get some gear paint to watch tooth contact and then push the axle shafts into and pul on them. Then also look for metal shavings.

Quick Reply: weird gear oil question