Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help! Moser 12 bolt oil question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Moser 12 bolt oil question!

I bought my car with a Moser 12 bolt and 4.10s. The person I bought it from did not know what type of carrier/locker was in it. Being that I wanted to know all the fluids were good in the car I did the engine oil and now had moved on to the diff fluid. I know different carriers call for synthetic vs non synthetic on top possibly some LS additive. So I tried the Lucas HD 80-90 oil and a bottle of GM LS additive. To say the least, the rear end hated it. Lots of noise when I turned right and left. Hopefully I didn't damage anything. Only drove it to and from work today. Stopped at my buddy's shop and he still had the old diff fluid we drained out. Against my better judgement, but with no alternatives handy, we put the old oil back in. Drove in up and down the street a couple times, did some circles in the parking lot and the noise when away. Thank god. My question is this, is the only way to figure out what kind of locker/carrier that is in there by taking off the cover and if so, will I be able to identify it by looking at it? At this point is it even worth bothering with it now? My initial concern for even messing with it was that it looked as if there had been a leak at some point (pressure relief tube or just an older leak that was never cleaned up?) and I wanted to make sure the oil level was ok. Any knowledge or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by SnakeEaterSS; 06-24-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

So now I've been reading that it's ok to run synthetic Mosers? Even when it calls for non syn?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I'd take the cover off. Only way to know what you have.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Like the 01ssreda4 said take the cover of and i suggest the amsoil severe 75-110 is very good. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Help! Moser 12 bolt oil question!