Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How badly damaged is my drive shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default How badly damaged is my drive shaft?

My torque arm broke at the rear and rubbed on my stock aluminum drive shaft for a few miles. You can clearly see and feel a groove. How thick is the stock drive shaft? No, I'm not talking about the 3" diameter...the thickness of the material.

I would love to get a new chromoly shaft, but how worried should I be with this one for the time being? I don't race or launch the car ever. It has 18" street tires on it with the stock 10 bolt rear. The car is a M6 with a LS7 clutch. I have a 402ci motor pushing about 540 RWHP.

My broken torque arm
Old 10-08-2013, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

I searched for a few broken aluminum drive shafts, and they look very thin. This definitely can't wait. I'll be calling MCW in the morning. Should I even drive the car lightly?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

These stock driveshafts are very thin, I wouldn't drive the car until you get another driveshaft. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you do that to the torque arm, were the bolts loose?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
How did you do that to the torque arm, were the bolts loose?
The stock torque arm is prone to bending. I had a Camaro come in one time as the customer had a vibration. The torque arm was bent so bad the rear was angled downward and the rear springs were close to coming out of the spring pockets. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
The stock torque arm is prone to bending. I had a Camaro come in one time as the customer had a vibration. The torque arm was bent so bad the rear was angled downward and the rear springs were close to coming out of the spring pockets. Bob

****, that's the last stock suspension piece I have in my car.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Stock driveshaft is roughly .060 thick. Yeah that's thin. You are likely able to get across town at moderate speeds in that condition but I would avoid high speed runs and hard acceleration. I've actually seen that exact failure before and the driveshaft lived quite a while. Not worth risking though.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Yea I read it was .065 after I posted. It's hard to see from pics just how thin that is though.

All I needed to do for the time being was get across town to pick up my daily driver. Nobody local had a stock torque arm I could get fast so I had to temporarily fix mine by beating and welding it into shape.

I ordered a PST 3" drive shaft and forged yoke from Midwest Chassis. I also got their full length adjustable torque arm with relocation crossmember. Was not wanting or expecting to pay for all this mess, but I guess you gotta pay to play.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Yea I read it was .065 after I posted. It's hard to see from pics just how thin that is though.

All I needed to do for the time being was get across town to pick up my daily driver. Nobody local had a stock torque arm I could get fast so I had to temporarily fix mine by beating and welding it into shape.

I ordered a PST 3" drive shaft and forged yoke from Midwest Chassis. I also got their full length adjustable torque arm with relocation crossmember. Was not wanting or expecting to pay for all this mess, but I guess you gotta pay to play.
Nice, yeah with that other driveshaft you would of been nervous driving it like "you!" Really want to.

Gotta pay to play is right, but buying quality parts and installing them correctly is like a investment. Your car will last that much longer.

Quick Reply: How badly damaged is my drive shaft?