Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ford 9 inch question please read

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford 9 inch question please read

My new ford 9 inch has a little whine its been through three heat cycle its not very loud and most noticeable cruising around 55 or slowing down at 10 to 20 mph but does not get louder under acceleration. I have not gotten on it hard at all. Just easy cruising. It's Yukon case motive gear 3:89 gears 31 spline Trac lokl and Moser axles. every single thing is brand new and from quick performance. And the center section was setup by them also. Just worried it is a problem or just maybe the type of gears. P.s. quickperformance has great customer service. Would call them but they aren't open today.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a similar moser setup built as well just a month ago and finished the break in period recently. It has a very slight whine at which you can only hear it if you have the radio off and the windows up. In other words its near silent and only happens on accel/decel to and from highway speeds. On cruise it's silent.

I rechecked the gear pattern before installing and found it to be near perfect spec as per Motive's instructions so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it howls. I've been hard on mine since it officially broke in, some slow roll launches and high speed accelerations. I would attribute it to the gear style. My motive's on my 10 bolt had a louder but similar consistent whine as well and those lasted me almost 7 years, 200+ launches, and almost 80k miles.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Appreciate that and what exactly would a howl sound like compared to a whine. My exhaust is pretty loud so sometimes it distorts thewhine a little but my car is quiet while cruising and I can't hear if the radio is or if my windows are down
Old 11-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Teching In

feel like mine is just a whine but I've read these rear ends are just noisy I could care less about it being quiet its a race car that I just drive everywhere just wanna make sure it isn't messed up sounds just like my friends 2005 ctsv goin down the high way his rear end is surprisingly loud. Any other input would be awesome
Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Teching In

feel like mine is just a whine but I've read these rear ends are just noisy I could care less about it being quiet its a race car that I just drive everywhere just wanna make sure it isn't messed up sounds just like my friends 2005 ctsv goin down the high way his rear end is surprisingly loud. Any other input would be awesome
Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

a simple whine won't be any louder than your voice in your car, ie can have a conversation. You can hear the radio at its bare minimum etc

A howl is a whine that is intense, can drown out exhaust, gets significantly louder with acceleration (not cruise or high constant speed, but specifically acceleration and is louder the more you accelerate it to high speed), 3rd and 4th gear accelerations would be loudest due to the relative speed and force of acceleration).

Most of the time it will be heard even when cruising if its a "howl" broken rear type whine. There is a video of another user here with a "howl" type whine. Try a quick search to hear it.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Teching In

alright ill look for it. i played with it on the way home i can hear the radio and still talk. i coasted down a hill on the way home and it is noticeable but not loud enough to not talk but loud enough for a passenger to ask whats that sound. under acceleration i cant hear it but my car is loud so its hard to pick through the sounds. it just has a single inlet and outlet magnaflow xl muffler. headers and y pipe. i read some people cant hear them selves think the whine is so loud. mine isnt even close to that. ive just spent alot of money and hope its right. p.s. its loudest around 10 to 20 and like just rolling. the car is cammed so it kinda will surge a little in realy low rpms like in a parking lot and i can hear the whine off and on as the car surges. the faster i go its quieter but that could be more road noise and etc.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

As your focus changes and the conditions change for your attention span, it may seem the noise gets louder and quieter when in reality its pretty consistent. Do a recording on your phone to see if it can capture the sound of the whine. If you can't pick it up on the phone, don't worry about it. The howl I was mentioning overwhelmed the guys camera/phone mic over everything else in the car.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Teching In

i tried earlier i put my phone on the rear seat you can hear it in my phone but i can also hear everything else. i have change in my cup holder and you can hear it rattling also the sound is almost sounds like the reverse gear in my mkiii supra i used to have but not quit as loud ill be calling quick performance in the morning and see what they say
Old 11-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Teching In

im trying to post the video on youtube but its taking forever for somereason
Old 11-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Teching In

here is a link not so great but you can atleast hear what it sounds like. at the end i start slowing down im at about 50 mph
Old 11-03-2013, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Found the thread:

edit: Sorry posted this from work; its not the same vid I saw about the howl. This gear noise is a bit louder than my gear noise, I mean there's silent and then my gear noise which is still low but noticable if you listen for it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...nch-noise.html

I think your gear noise sounds in line with mine, but I'll have to do a video on mine too to see if its similar or not. I can hear mine, but its quiet and easily outdone by low volume radio.

Last edited by SladeX; 11-04-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Teching In

i foundit last night i guess its an acceptable sound but if it gets on your nerves enough you can try and get rid of it by playing with shimming a little.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

I made a video and found my phone (galaxy s3) could barely pick up the noise. To put in perspective on the video, the signal click, the tapping of my sleeve on the ashtray lid when shifting and lite conversation was all significantly louder. Only when I put it in 5th at 35 mph did the whine get a bit louder in order to be audible, but under acceleration it was easily drowned out by exhaust and transmission noise.

Location was cup holder. This would put it directly above the connection for the torque arm which is on a torque arm relocation to the body via a BMR kit and where most "noise" is transmitted into my cabin from the rear via torque arm. (When my 10 bolt broke some teeth, the noise was so loud from that spot it projected it to the front making it sound like a clutch/transmission problem)

Here's the sound as heard from the cupholder. I'm about 1200+ miles on it, plenty of heat cycles (its my daily) and its more or less noisiest when cold, once warmed up, its quieter so the video shows a "cold" rear. I've had a custom shaft made since it officially hit 500 miles. The "sound" pattern was established within the first 100 miles. I was on my stock ds and a conversion ujoint. The stock ds was exactly 2 inches still engaged into the transmission and pinion angle was a nice healthy -2. I had my new shaft made to be 3.5 in diameter 0.125 thick aluminum and 1 inch longer than stock. Engagement is 2.95 inch into the transmission based on the new yoke.

Last edited by SladeX; 11-04-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Teching In

i put my phone in the back seat but my phone is really good at picking up noises i drove it two times today two heat cycles it seems to be getting quieter. but not much and i dont notice it if i am listening to music at a normal level where you could still conversate with a passenger. it is actualy the loudest in like first and second gear and third when slowing down and driving slow through a neighborhood and I can push the clutch in and put it in different gears while coasting and not letting the clutch out and it seems to change it a little. on the highway its actualy really quiet. it doesn't seem to make any whine under acceleration just on decel. i talked to quick performance today and they said i need to put more miles on it and it should quiet down a lot. so that's what Im going to do. hope it gets quieter but if not it seems to be fine its not loud enough to bother me. and every heat cycle seems to help it. my drive shaft is a little too short but i know what that sounds like from jeeps ive owned and lifted. and this shaft isnt making any noise or vibration.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:11 AM
Teching In

For anyone that reads this my rear end makes some whining around 70 and is fine never had any issues just a little noisy.

Last edited by darkbluez28; 03-02-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: ford 9 inch question please read