Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" newbie, purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9" newbie, purchase questions

What am i looking for here for a street/ strip 9". A very long time ago carl@crp was my first inquire for a rear end he was awesome and very cool to deal with. At the time i was stuck on s60. Now i have been looking at 9" rears seriously. With the purchase finally getting close its time for me to make up my mind. Bombard me with knowledge please, im not going to.say ive ruled other possibilities out completely but im leaning torwards the good ole 9. The other day i saw a advertisement on fbody craiglist for trick chassis..... any experiences, reviews? I do want to go with a locker/ 28-32 splines were recommended to me due to street use and 3.90 gears.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You cant go wrong with a 9" from Bob at Brutespeed or from Eric at MWC.

What are your power goals?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
You cant go wrong with a 9" from Bob at Brutespeed or from Eric at MWC.

What are your power goals?
Power goals will always rise which is one reason i want to go with 9 because no matter how high i go itll be there.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
What am i looking for here for a street/ strip 9". A very long time ago carl@crp was my first inquire for a rear end he was awesome and very cool to deal with. At the time i was stuck on s60. Now i have been looking at 9" rears seriously. With the purchase finally getting close its time for me to make up my mind. Bombard me with knowledge please, im not going to.say ive ruled other possibilities out completely but im leaning torwards the good ole 9. The other day i saw a advertisement on fbody craiglist for trick chassis..... any experiences, reviews? I do want to go with a locker/ 28-32 splines were recommended to me due to street use and 3.90 gears.
Why a locker?

I'd start off with being honest with your intentions. Power is one thing...sticking it is another. If you're dead set on a 9" that handles street and strip, either a FAB Moser or MWC with a Yukon gear set (personal pref) and Wavetrac.

If I were you....I'd "bombard" the search function or call Bob (BruteSpeed) or Eric (MWC). Lots of info based on the same question around here....daily...
Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gears depend on your power level and cam selection. Don't go with a locker considering you're an M6, do a TrueTrack IMO - that's what I have and would use. Personally I'd go with the highest spline, but 31 will work for the street. Again all these depend on your power level which you have left out, so we need that for recommendations. A 35 spline Wavetrac will be your best bet if you can afford it and you get a limited lifetime warranty - will handle drag racing, road racing, everything you can throw at it and still have great street manners.

Bob @ Brute or Eric @ MWC are both good people to call and get information from. I'd do that.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LPE 403

Why a locker?

I'd start off with being honest with your intentions. Power is one thing...sticking it is another. If you're dead set on a 9" that handles street and strip, either a FAB Moser or MWC with a Yukon gear set (personal pref) and Wavetrac.

If I were you....I'd "bombard" the search function or call Bob (BruteSpeed) or Eric (MWC). Lots of info based on the same question around here....daily...
I started this for an arguement on my own goals, i just wanted everyones opinion on what my setup is going to be.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Guitar
Gears depend on your power level and cam selection. Don't go with a locker considering you're an M6, do a TrueTrack IMO - that's what I have and would use. Personally I'd go with the highest spline, but 31 will work for the street. Again all these depend on your power level which you have left out, so we need that for recommendations. A 35 spline Wavetrac will be your best bet if you can afford it and you get a limited lifetime warranty - will handle drag racing, road racing, everything you can throw at it and still have great street manners.

Bob @ Brute or Eric @ MWC are both good people to call and get information from. I'd do that.
With the LS1 my goal is to hit like mid 600's with spray. I always wanted a locker because everyone always told me to go with it. One of the things carl told me about the big spline like 35 is that they are so stiff for regular street driving like potholes etc...
Old 11-15-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I went with the Moser M9 and Wavetrac. 35 spline axels with roller bearings. I choose all the options (back brace, etc.) so I would not out grow the rear. I'm NA noiw but plan to go turbo in the near future.

That being said for street/strip duty a well built 12 bolt or dana 60 can be a better choice for many situation.

Many people choose the 9 inch because they see serious racers using them so they think that is the best. Racers use them because it is easier to change gear ratio.

The 9 inch waist more energy than the 12 bolt or dana 60 due to the pinion being positioned lower on the ring gear. A well designed 12 bolt or dana 60 can handle the power you are talking about and might cost you less.

which ever you choose as long as you plan properly they all can handle lots of power.

Good Luck
Old 11-15-2013, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give us a call and we can go over all the options with you. We will not only look at what you have now, but are planning in the future. We guarantee to have the lowest price on any of the options you have listed!

For these rear ends, the quality is in the details. We will make sure you pick the best one for your application and budget.

We also offer a free layaway plan. This allows you to make payments, so you do not have to come up with the entire sum in one payment!!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss performance
I went with the Moser M9 and Wavetrac. 35 spline axels with roller bearings. I choose all the options (back brace, etc.) so I would not out grow the rear. I'm NA noiw but plan to go turbo in the near future.

That being said for street/strip duty a well built 12 bolt or dana 60 can be a better choice for many situation.

Many people choose the 9 inch because they see serious racers using them so they think that is the best. Racers use them because it is easier to change gear ratio.

The 9 inch waist more energy than the 12 bolt or dana 60 due to the pinion being positioned lower on the ring gear. A well designed 12 bolt or dana 60 can handle the power you are talking about and might cost you less.

which ever you choose as long as you plan properly they all can handle lots of power.

Good Luck
Thanks for the info thats great to know. I always thought they went with them because of the power they could handle. But i would definetly be a fan of considering 60, or 12 bolt again
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
Give us a call and we can go over all the options with you. We will not only look at what you have now, but are planning in the future. We guarantee to have the lowest price on any of the options you have listed!

For these rear ends, the quality is in the details. We will make sure you pick the best one for your application and budget.

We also offer a free layaway plan. This allows you to make payments, so you do not have to come up with the entire sum in one payment!!
Ill give you guys a call one of these days

Quick Reply: 9" newbie, purchase questions