Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strang S-Trac 9 inch having issues, need some help with answers and warrenty info

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Strang S-Trac 9 inch having issues, need some help with answers and warrenty info

Hi guys, My strang S-trac diff has been acting up latly, last week while doing burnouts before making passes my left rear would stop spinning mid burnout, once burnout was complete it re engaged and worked just fine? any thoughts on what the issue could be? also I have a shop here that I can have look at it and possibly diagnose it but I dont want to have any warrenty issues since this rear end has a lifetime warrenty on it. is it ok to make them find what the issue is then either send it back or just have them repair it if its something simple?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you use a line lock for the burnout? A helical gear posi like the S-Trac needs some resistance from the wheel to wedge the helical gear into its pocket. Next time this happens try tapping the brake pedal during the burnout, this will load the S-Trac and re-engage the posi.
If your rear is making no bad sounds, I'd say you have no problems. A while back I googled this issue and found many hits of this happening in the burnout box with this type of posi.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After you diagnose the issue if you believe there is a problem with the unit remove it and send it in. You will need to contact them before doing so for return authorization. The S-Trac diff unit itself carries the limited lifetime warranty.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks ssvert yes I know its just the diff and not the whole rear end I already had to get another set of axles from you guys LOL, I wouldnt think my hp lvl would hurt this rear end, I dont seem to hear anthing really abnormal but a few months back I did have a little pop come from the rear when I was first pulling out and turning left to get ready to make a run, I will try the brakes next time in the box see what that does. also I will check fluid and fill it back up, if that dosnt fix it then I will pull it and inspect it. and yes I know you can only use non synthetic non friction midifyer gear oil in these, thanks for the input and advice guys. I got some other maintinence to do before I hit the track again so we will see how she does once I get back out there, but even with my burnout issues I managed to win my class last friday and took home the first place trophy

Quick Reply: Strang S-Trac 9 inch having issues, need some help with answers and warrenty info