Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Vibration outta nowhere...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration outta nowhere...

So I was driving down the highway, going about 70 then exited the highway and came to a complete stop. When the light turned green, I noticed my car vibrating when I would press the gas while slipping the clutch really bad, in any gear. If I let go of pressing the gas the car would stop vibrating (while still in gear). In neutral the car would still vibrate (while moving going around 60mph or so). Needless to say, I babied it back home and put a floorjack underneath it and watched the wheels spin and listened for anything. Noticed it wasn't the transmission (thank god) but while the tires were spinning in the air in 5th gear just idling, I got underneath the car real quick and heard where the noise was coming from: my diff. Then I noticed my oil filler cap was no longer there. While the tires were spinning there was oil coming out of the filler cap (where it used to be atleast). It was a illet piece of aluminum. Oil all over my bumper too.

I have a Quick Performance 9" conversion kit in the back of my 2002 SS with a Wavetrac and 35 spline Moser axles. Axle bearings are fine wheels are not wobbly. My question is does anybody have the same setup? I need a filler cap and I am seriously hoping that is all I need (plus 80/90w) to get the car back on the road. Pinion does not move up or down. I haven't checked u-joints yet but I doubt it's that.

Does anybody have a Quick Performance Ford 9" and have one they can sell or tell me what size thread the cap is? I need one ASAP. I hope my rearend isn't toast by running out of oil for a short amount of time, but if it's empty of oil I can see why it was doing what it did. Should I check anything else or do you think i'm in the clear by just replacing the filler cap and oil? Drove about 20 miles, *maybe*, babying the entire way back home after it started happening.

The only reason I am asking here is because Quick Performance is closed for the holidays. I am really hoping someone can help me out here. If I can find the thread size I can have this fixed so long as my wavetrac isn't trashed, which I don't think it is.

Does ANYONE know the fitting size of the billet oil filler cap in question? Has a rubber o-ring on it.

I will attach a picture of the rearend in question: the filler cap I am talking about is the one that is on the center housing at the very top on the outside. Made out of billet aluminum. What is the thread size on that sucker? I see a few oil filler caps (look more for valve covers but w.e) on Jegs/Summit that are 1.5" OD, 1.375" OD that look so not completely sure. Link to the cap is in the second post. QTP is closed or else I would call and ask but I want to see if I can order this art today at some point and order next day shipping. Cheers. Thanks for any help. I am really hoping that adding fluid + cap back on will fix my problems. Thanks for the help.

In the picture attached, it is the part circled in red. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails Vibration outta nowhere...-cap.jpg  

Last edited by mrdreex; 12-25-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Would this work? It's just a guess because I do not know the fitting size but it looks pretty close to similar.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tf...0807/overview/

Last edited by mrdreex; 12-25-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Got a hold of Jay at Quick Performance, great customer support. They have sent me another filler cap and should be here today. They have never heard of the oil filler caps falling off but don't think the wavetrac is toast. I will be filling it with some GL5 and doing alot of testing and will post more hen I find out. Cheers.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd still be looking for the source for your vibration. A missing filler probably wouldn't cause much of an issue, as you'll still have oil in the diff. Yes, some will slop out, but not all of it. The problem would certainly have been worse if your drain plug had fallen out instead.

You also appear to have caught this pretty quickly. However, I'm thinking the cap came off because of the vibration, and not that the missing cap caused the vibration. I'd still baby this axle until you know for sure where the issue is, or it's been resolved.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Just found the culprit. My BMR torque arm mounting bracket split in half, and messed the pinion angle up pretty bad. Just so happened the cap was missing as well. Called BMR, and they seem as if they are going to come through with a replacement. I sure do appreciate good customer service, props to Eric@BMR, we'll see if the word follows through.

Quick Reply: Vibration outta nowhere...