Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Noise from new Moser 9inch

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Noise from new Moser 9inch

Ok, I just installed a Moser 9inch with a trutrac and 31 spline axles. The car seems to run fine is a straight line but as soon as I turn, even slightly, I get a horrible grinding/binding from the rear end. I havent had a lot of off time to try to figure out the issue, and I am scared to drive it as is. Another question is about my LCA's. There is a small amount of room between them and the brackets that hold them even though the bolts are tight.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should not be any space between the brackets and the LCA's.

When I got my Moser 9 inch the gears weren't setup correctly. I took the carrier to someone I trust to check them out.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you, good to know about the LCA's. How did you know your gears werent set up right?
Old 01-13-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After I installed the axels it was very hard to turn them. I thought they were to tight so I took everything apart to check it. Turning the pinion by hand was difficult.

Take everything apart and double check that everything is installed correctly. Double check the torque specs.

I suggest you contact Moser and ask them about the noise you hear.

As far as the space between the bracket and the LCA's you might be able to shim them with washers, use grade 8 if you do.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

That makes sense. I did notice that it was very hard to turn them by hand also. I tried to call Brute Speed a couple times today but were unable to get them. I will try Moser in the morning.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good luck.

Keep us posted.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually have a traclok not a trutrack. I am reading that it could be caused my one of my axles being to long and bottoming out traclok?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
That makes sense. I did notice that it was very hard to turn them by hand also. I tried to call Brute Speed a couple times today but were unable to get them. I will try Moser in the morning.
I was swamped today, sorry about that. Look to see if the torque arm or the torque arm mounting bracket is rubbing the sheetmetal of the floor. There are two places where it can make contact. This seems to make more noise when turning. If it is rubbing, all you have to do is to shove a prybar up between the torque arm and the floor and pry the floor in a little. Let me know what you find out. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got home and jacked the car up to take a look for anything rubbing and to check the clearance of the TA and mount. I didnt see anything that should pose a problem but I went ahead and pryed the tightest spots. Went for a test drive and I did even make it out of my neighborhood before hearing a loud pop followed by the sound of what I think is something broken and slinging around in the chunk. I have no idea where to go from here. I was able to limp the car the short distance back the house. But something is definitely screwed up badly. I dont see how it could be a install issue on my part?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I got home and jacked the car up to take a look for anything rubbing and to check the clearance of the TA and mount. I didnt see anything that should pose a problem but I went ahead and pryed the tightest spots. Went for a test drive and I did even make it out of my neighborhood before hearing a loud pop followed by the sound of what I think is something broken and slinging around in the chunk. I have no idea where to go from here. I was able to limp the car the short distance back the house. But something is definitely screwed up badly. I dont see how it could be a install issue on my part?
Hmm, I'd jack it up (on jackstands) and get under there and rotate the driveshaft in neutral and see if you can trace the noise. If you can find it that way, run the car in gear up on jackstands and see if you can find where it is coming from. If it's coming from the center section, get in touch with me and I'll get you an RMA # to send it back in to Moser. Let me know what you find out. Thanks. Bob

Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Other than the axels or the axel bearings the only thing in the rear is the carrier. I doubt you broke an axel. Axel bearing is possible but not probable. So that leaves the carrier.

Follow Bob's advice since he can help you out with Moser but I bet it's the carrier.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Axle and and axle bearings are good. The noise is coming from the chunk, so i went ahead and pulled it. Not to much fun while its still in the car.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Axle and and axle bearings are good. The noise is coming from the chunk, so i went ahead and pulled it. Not to much fun while its still in the car.
I have an authorization number for you to send back the center section. I'll pm you. Thanks, and I'm sorry you are having a problem with it. Bob

Old 02-09-2014, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on what the issue was on this rearend?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this. I pulled the center out and I didnt see anything that looked out of place (no metal shavings, marred up gears, ect) so I took it to a friend at a local shop. He went through it and said everything was good to go and then asked me if I had ran friction modifier through it. I immediately felt like the biggest moron in the world. Soaked the clutch disk in friction modifier for a while and put everything back together and it is great. I cant believe I overlooked such an easy answer. The rear is running great now and I am loving the new 4.11's. Thank yall for your help!

Quick Reply: Noise from new Moser 9inch