Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broke rear end and replaced with 2.73. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke rear end and replaced with 2.73. What to do?

Hi everyone I have a 2000 Z28 stock besides running without mufflers. So one day while I was out on a friendly stroll through the town when a small group of lowered trucks decide to mess with me... Needless to say it turned out pretty bad for them. On my way home I notice a light clanking coming from my rear end and it kept getting louder. So it was decided, my rear end needed to be replaced. Seeing as I am a college student without much money and am very dependent on my vehicle for transportation my only choice was another 10bolt. I went to a few places but the only rear end I was able to muster up was a 3 channel with 2.73 gears. So the next day the transplant was done. I was happy to have my baby back but she had changed, she felt a bit more sluggish compared to 3.42's. In a week or 2 I am going to have a bit of spending money for my camaro'(still a tight student budget though). Should I invest in gears or lid/exhaust? What mods would net me the best gains for my money? Any help is appreciated, Thank you everyone!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

Get back to a lower gear set first.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:27 AM

What would be a good set for the 10 bolt? stock 3.42's? 3.73's? I don't want to risk breaking the rear end again anytime soon... I don't drive her too hard, launches are pretty rare.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume this is an M6 car, if that's the case most ppl go 4.10's. Just replace all the internal hardware and invest in a gerdel if you can manage. Should be okay in a stock car. For a while anyway.

Quick Reply: Broke rear end and replaced with 2.73. What to do?