Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 3 Channel Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 8.8 3 Channel Options

Good morning gearhead's. So here is my delima. I am went with a buddy yesterday and we picked up a 8.8 out of a late model Explorer and a 4 channel 7.5 out of a f-body. We are going to build it for a 4 channel car.
However I am wanting to build one for my car as well which is a 3 channel. The late model Explorer 8.8 has the provisions for the ABS sensor on the center section which I will need. But I have a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone built one of these and used them in a 3 channel application. Please keep in mind that I want to keep my ABS system as it is on my 7.5.

2. If anyone has done this build where did you get the reluctor wheel and how did you mount it? Surely it has been done by now.

3. ABS sensor options? Is the factory 7.5 sensor a 2 wire or more? I know for sure that the 8.8 is a 2 wire design. Will the GM sensor work or did you use the 8.8 sensor?

TA I would like to get with Hiltsy and see about purchasing one of his setups.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working on the ring with Hiltsy. He designed it and sent me the cad file so I could machine one. Not sure if it works yet , but I'm hoping to have my rear complete by this weekend. The 10 bolt sensor will work all you have to do is open the mounting hole .100. The problem is the sensor is shorter than the 8.8 on so we had to make the rings O.D. bigger which required me to grind down some points on the inside of the 8.8 housing to make it fit. I'll update after I get it in the car and make sure it works.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ABS ring works! Finally installed it this past Thursday and no lights on and braking is the same as with the ten bolt.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats Colin. Glad you got it working. I like your solution adapting the 10-bolt sensor to the 8.8 housing. Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jankags
ABS ring works! Finally installed it this past Thursday and no lights on and braking is the same as with the ten bolt.
jankags, man I'm glad to hear that everything worked out for you.

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Congrats Colin. Glad you got it working. I like your solution adapting the 10-bolt sensor to the 8.8 housing. Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!
hiltsy, I have a question for you as well. We purchased one of your T/A mount kits and it worked out perfect as well.
However I have a question for the both of you since you both have sucessfully completed one with the reluctor wheel.

I know that the factory 8.8 sensor is longer that the one for the 7.5. If I wanted to use the factory one for the 8.8 since it fits the housing correctly why couldn't we just have a cad file made that would be the same dimensions of the original 8.8 ring with the correct teeth count to match the 7.5. IIRC the count teeth between the two is just a couple of teeth off. Am I missing something?

We have already got the wiring diagram from both Chevrolet and Ford and It appears that this part is doable. We havent done it yet though. I would like to make this kinda plug and play with everything if you know what I mean.
This darn reluctor wheel thing is the only issue that I have to work through before I start on my rearend.

Sorry for all of the rambling on.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a CAD file that has the proper number of teeth and the OD is the same as the stock 8.8. Colin just chose to use the 10-bolt sensor because he pretty much knew it would work. I haven't looked at the 2 sensors or the wiring (I removed ABS long ago) but more than likely the sensor is just a proximity switch and there's a good chance the 8.8 sensor will work.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
I have a CAD file that has the proper number of teeth and the OD is the same as the stock 8.8. Colin just chose to use the 10-bolt sensor because he pretty much knew it would work. I haven't looked at the 2 sensors or the wiring (I removed ABS long ago) but more than likely the sensor is just a proximity switch and there's a good chance the 8.8 sensor will work.
hiltsy855, sent you a P.M.

Quick Reply: 8.8 3 Channel Options